Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Noisy pulleys..

Belt dressing will come off pretty quick in my experience. To prove its the belt a few drops of water on the OUTSIDE of the belt will probably cure the noise temporarily, proving it's at fault.

If the belt is smooth I'd put money on it being the culprit.

Gavin

Gav - squirting WD40 on the back of the belt cures the noise immediately. Rev the engine once or twice and wait for a few seconds and it comes back again..

And if replacing the serpentine belt isnt a biggie I might speak to Stealth and go armed with the genuine VAG item. The car sounds ridiculous atm and its all well and good having a car that looks as good as the Corrado when it sounds so silly :(

Ok - just so i'm sure i've got this right, I was looking at the various belts available on VW Spares and..

Theres the cam belt (obviously), then there is the alternator belt which drives amongst other things the charger and alternator, and then there is the PAS belt which is the small narrow belt you can see down towards the bottom of the block?

Sorry for being dumb.. didnt realise it was really just one belt all around the charger area. Any idea what price it is for this belt off VW directly?

You have it right Jim, 3 belts total.

If thats the case with the WD Jim, I'd go for another belt.

Gavin

Any idea what price it is for this belt off VW directly?

Nope, not really withoug phoning them, but Uncle Edgar very often gives a good indication, stating the non-airco ribbed v-belt costs around the €38, expect to pay £38 then :lol: (This very often has proven true, I found when looking up prices that way). Just be lucky you haven't got the air-co version of that belt , otherwise double the cost :-(

Tempest

Ok.. according to a post by Stevemac going back to 2003, its a doddle to change this belt. Literally a little pressure with a flat headed screwdriver to slacken the tensioner off enough to remove the belt, then just stick a new one on - 15 minute job!?

flat headed screwdriver to slacken the tensioner off enough to remove the belt, then just stick a new one on - 15 minute job!?

Almost. You need to compress the sprng-loaded tensioner near the alternator after having undone a bolt at that location (crap to describe without piccies, and as usual I'm at work, all the material is at home). Darren just stemmed his weight onto this spring-loaded tensioner when doing my G-Lader :lol:

Tempest

Hm.. I best get it done at a garage rather than attempting it myself! :)

put on eof those monster 8mm thick cable ties around the tensioner, that takes the tension off easy enough and keeps it in the same place for when you put it back on,, easy peasy,,,

Jim its simple enough to change it and with a little effort you could do it yourself and save a few pennies. The tensioner is very easy to slide off using an oil filter wrench to compress it first. Just draw a diagram of the pulleys and the belt to make sure you're putting it back on correctly - its not timed so no worries there. 30 min job ;)

As for price - I paid 34 quid for mine (about a month ago) from the dealers and about 5 quid for a new PAS belt.

HTH

Don't forget that you have to take off the power steering belt first to get the charger belt off as it runs on the outside of the charger belt blocking it from coming off! :roll:

Hennnnyyyyyy.... you dont happen to be coming down to the Midlands Meet on the 27th do you? ;)

Mind you if I wait any longer to do this i'll probably go insane with the noise so.. don't worry about it :)

henny - yep should have mentioned that too :) Again, Jim - the PAS belt comes off without any worries. Go get your hands dirty!

_leon_, only if you find that sodding hidden bolt! :mad: :lol:

lol yeah theres always one - and often the one that you a) have to undo without being able to see and b) is a B to get off :lol:

Well I went back up to Stealth today complete with my new from VAG belt.. I also for the first time ever stood around in the workshop and watched John do the work and had a bit of a chat so I could learn what was involved. The VAG belt is indeed a lot different to the part that they were using.. the VAG one, as Gav said, has stitching along the belt and a different type of material on the back - hopefully the end of the squeaking!

Not a peep when it was started and fine on the way home, but the test will be tomorrow morning I suppose!

Well it looks like we're stuck together atm - but if someone comes along and offers to buy it, I wont say no :)

And one last post on this before I let this thread die a quick death.. started her up this morning and not a murmur of a squeak from the pulleys. Thank god.. I no longer have to sit in traffic feeling rather embarassed at my noisy car. The genuine VAG belt has done the job! :)