Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Another Manta for Riley and other fans

Pic from 1975 brochure. Did not buy one. Couldnt afford it and anyway, the doors did not clunk as well as the A series ones - ie it had become tinnier.

I have road tests for Manta in 1972-ish "Car" (comparison with 1st Toyota Celica) and "Motor".

No alloy wheels with the Manta, even in 1975/6, whatever the spec.

The wheels shown are steel with 4 sections painted black.

When I got new 1978 Cavalier GL, it had same wheels as shown on Manta Berlinetta but no black paint - I painted the appropriate bits and had slightly different look to others.

Vauxhall came up trumps getting in with Opel thro' General Motors. Cars previous to Cavalier were absolute dogs and rustbuckets such as Viva, Chevette, etc.

Things were getting better as far as corrosion protection went, but my new 1972 Manta still had no bitumen underseal and handfulls of mud could be dug out from behind the headlights via the wheelarch.

I made my own wheelarch inserts for the Manta and the following 3 cars I had before they became a standard item due to consumer pressure and competition from, initially I think, the Swedes.

more Manta A pics please.............they are one hell of a sexy 70's coupe 8) ...........manta B's didn't get sexy til the exclusives and 400's IMO 8)

more Manta A pics please.............they are one hell of a sexy 70's coupe 8) ...........manta B's didn't get sexy til the exclusives and 400's IMO 8)

what yon fella said^^ :D

but is that an early b?

i dont know so much about the a's but i can appreciate them,as a kid i always remembered them as 'the ones that had round back lights like a ferrari' :lol:

what yon fella said^^ :D

but is that an early b?

i dont know so much about the a's but i can appreciate them,as a kid i always remembered them as 'the ones that had round back lights like a ferrari' :lol:

aye thats an early B............too much like its poxhall cousin for moi :D

:lol: yeah they are damn similar!

ehhhh i remember me dad and his m8 messin with em,drove my first car at 12 yrs old,was a c plate gte in the mettalic green colour 8)

and ive actually sat in this last year sometime i think it was...

the! original mcrae/brookes 400! 8)

sold for 50k i think!

couple other pics too,youve got me on one now craigowl :lol:

the black one is supposedly the only road going 400 left in existence apparently!? :shock:

Three more pics of A series from contemporary brochures.

Boring looking saloon in the background of first pic is undoubtedly the Opel Ascona. This was a saloon version of the Manta, very understated looks, but many successes for years in competition.