Sign in to follow this  
TheWizardofOdds

Newbie questions

Hi people,

First of all i'd like to introduce myself to you (being new to the forum) my name's David and i've been checking this site out for quite a few months now, looking at all the beautiful rados you guys own. I saw a corrado one day whilst driving to work and immediately parked next to it for a closer look. Anyway,the upshot is that i think the owner must think they have a stalker :shock: because i drive the same way to work every day and have stopped to have a look quite a few times!

As you can probably guess i am now in the market for one of these beauties (why Vw dont make these cars anymore is criminal) and have a few questions i hope somebody could take the time to answer. So starting at the very top: just what is the difference between a storm and say, a late vr6 with leather interior, heated seats etc ? (which i have seen for sale and stated as similar to the storm). The car that i eventually buy will be in daily use, are there any models which are particularly reliable? (i will be spending roughly 6-7K, so want to get this right). I like the look of the satin silver vr6's but they seem to be quite rare. What is an eye-brow spoiler?...i know, my knowledge of cars (apart from driving them) is rudimentary. What are the main faults/defects of vr6's to look out for when inspecting the car? Ideally i would like the car to be as close to stock as possible.

Oh, i nearly forgot - Does anyone want to buy my girlfriends rover 200 for 7K?...heheheheh

Welcome aboard mate. First up I'm gonna move this to General Car Chat, then I'll give ya a reply :) ;)

Right, so...

1. Storm - They were the last 500 sold in the UK (ish). Basically nothing at all except a couple of badges and a supposedly unique paint colour and wheels. However, there are other C's of that era with the same paint as Storm's and you can get the wheels second hand. The badges are like gold dust tho. They came in either Mystic Blue with black leather, or Classic Green with beige leather.

2. If you want reliable, then get a Golf :lol: Seriously though, there's not a huge difference in engine reliability over the range, as long as you make sure they have been and are looked after. Bits of trim snapping and miscellaneous rubber bits falling off are a common Corrado 'feature' though.

3. Reiger eyebrows seem the favourite, but personally I think they look crap :D

4. Main faults, problems, quirks and joyous things like that are usually found on the Sticky notices in the forums. But the Corrado buying guide and Check List is probably a good start.

Edit: Oh and I think the best 'solution' for the Rover 200 involves washing it with petrol and drying it with a match. It's for the greater good :D

Nicedice, welcome to the forum.

I like the look of the satin silver vr6's but they seem to be quite rare

8) there have been a few on autotrader recently, apparently most people prefer the darker colours on the C, so might be easier to sell on later on rather than a satin C (too late for me!) - there was however a beaut for sale on autotrader a couple of weeks ago with leathers. The silver C looks awesome at night when its lit up by streetlights though.

3. Reiger eyebrows seem the favourite, but personally I think they look crap

:scratch: me too, I couldn't wait to rip it off my car when I bought it, spoils the C's good looks imo.

I knew i'd post in the wrong section!.. thanks for the replies guys.

I dont actually know what an eye-brow spoiler is though.I just checked the trader and there's an aqua blue vr6 5795 i think..what do you think

people?..cant judge a book by its cover,but it looks fine!

Good suggestion on the rover,i'll get to it immediately.

Keep your eye on our cars for sale section.. some tidy VR's come up on there quite often. Few in there right now actually!

The eyebrow spoiler is basically a piece of plastic trim that is mounted just underneath the bonnet lip to kind of make the lights look a bit narrower and make the front look a little more agressive..

Can see one fitted to chrishills car in this for sale thread..

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21592

Nicedice, if you've got a 6-7K budget, I really recommend this beauty:-

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

Not stock but looks it and is probably better than stock anyway given the no expense spared approach by it's owner.....and it's got all the choice mods that Corrado Conniessuers go for :twisted:

I would recommend this http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21687

I have seen the car close up and know it has been looked after, plus it is very low mls!!! I am pretty sure the STORM will hold its value better that other Corrado’s including a similar VR6.

You can get better spec VR6's than the STORM i.e.: air con.

Having owned a Corrado for 18 months now, my experience has been great, IMHO the Corrado like most VW's do not have any big problems, just a POO POO load of small things like:

Headlights - what a joke! I can see more smoking a ciggy!

Sunroof - Pants! From what I know the motor is rubbish and dies (mine has)

Door handles – Not too bad but feel like they will come off in your hands!

Wipers – Get used to not being able to see where you are going in the rain!

All these issues and more are fixed fairly easily and you will find LOTS of knowledge on this forum about how to go about changing said items.

For all its bad points, its well worth it, I can recommend the corrado enough, although without this forum I like many other people would be lost!

That’s my advice and ass licking done!

Prepare your wallet for a good bashing though, these cars are getting pretty old now and cost a fortune to keep on the road esp. if you get a duff one! I went through my receipts lastnight and almost fell over when I totted up the amount I have spent in the last six months - that's just general replacements/servicing and a few essential mods like the lupo wipers and uprated headlight looms etc!

So defo worth getting a very well cared for example like the ones being sold on this forum that have been owned by genuine enthusiasts.

Expensive to run VRs are the ones that were neglected by the previous owners. Mine's been 100% perfect reliability wise but I've spent a shed load on preventative maintanence (chains, head etc), mods and replacing broken interior parts caused by heavy handed alarm fitters and previous owners.

Find one that's been well looked after and it should need no more than petrol and fluids. Somethings will and do break, but that's inevitable on a car of that age.

Yeah, I was just thinking about those damn VAG dealers and their £56 crappy carpets and other over priced parts when I was mentioning the cost of running this beast. Its all worth it though, wouldn't swap this car, it is such a great overall package, low depreciation and its so rare! Hhhhm that engine as well....

Welcome NDice, I'm sure there was a Vr in Autotrader last week not far from you! I'll have another look!

You'll love the Corrado - its looks, handling, quite unlike other cars on the road today! Most pro's and Cons are covered in the comments above. They can be expensive to maintain, I don't know how handy you are with a spanner, it helps a lot!!

You'd better factor in some cash for extras (NOT dice) as you will want to upgrade something.

If you are going to spend a lot, get the prospective car HPI'd as a lot of Corrado's are accident damaged/repaired.

All the best and good luck!!

with ya there on the HPI skimask, best £30 for peace of mind you can spend IMHO... 8)

Welcome to the Forum Nicedice 8)