Sign in to follow this  
godskitchen

A true classic?

A true classic???

For a good while now a lot of us have been saying that the corrado is either a classic/classic waiting in the wings or something to that effect.

What in your view makes the corrado a true classic? And if we are going to call it a classic what “Classic” range do we put it in? for example the original ford mustang, Is widely accepted as a true classic………………… does the corrado get put in with that?????? Or with something like the MK1 GTi??

I would say more along the lines of a mk1 gti, for me the mustang is near the top of the premiership and the corrado has just about qualified for the champions league lol. But the corrado has a bit more x factor over the mk1 gti IMO.

The Corrado is too young and modern to be considered a classic just yet imo. I'm sorry to have to say but it's the VR6/G60/Storms that will have the highest regard, purely from a point of view that they were the ones most raved about.

Althought strictly speaking the G60 and VR engines are not unique (Lancia invented the VR and some frenchman invented the G-Lader) they were successfully mass produced to a standard way over and above what the inventors could manage, so will be remembered for that if nothing else. In fact the VR engine won "engine of the year" award in the early 90s, quite a feat considering BMW have always dominated that rating category.

So, imo, the Corrado will need another 10 years to be remembered as a classic. The Corrado didn't create a genre, it didn't change any moulds and it was too expensive.

The MK1 GTI however did create a genre and break new moulds and is quite deservedley a classic already.

Tough one Paul, but think its fair to say that the corrado was widely recognised as a Classic in the making the day she went on-sale. (Press hype)

What has really sealed her fate was the fact that there were so se ever made (relatively speaking) will give her the status of exclusivity.

The whole package is timeless even IMHO better than TT/Mini/MINI and only on-par with the likes of the merc 1954 SL Gullwing. Mk1 gti and Porker 911.

You could never compare the Corrado to a Mustang/Vette/DB7/Herbie etc because in the truest sense these are media icons or media classics where a true classic like the Corrado, 911, mk1 gti and the like served up a whole package on their own with dateless style/handling/performance etc.

You will not remember, but years ago when the Corrado was a New animal in the roads, she was unrivalled. Everybody aspired to them including Vauxhall/Ford but never came close. Only now has main stream performance coupe’s come up out of the Corrado shadow but IMO there will never be a more honest, stylish and affordable performance coupe such as the Corrado.

Classics come in all shapes and sizes MR2/X19/Imp whatever. It is the fan-base that really turn these cars, including the Corrado into Classic Status.

Long live C

You will not remember, but years ago when the Corrado was a New animal in the roads, she was unrivalled.

I do! I have a 1993 edition of Autocar where they did a back-to-back road test with a Corrado VR (a nice blackberry metallic number) versus a BMW E36 325i 24V coupe. It beat the BMW in all the key areas:- Build quality (early E36s were terrible as I can vouch for), acceleration, in-gear times, looks, appeal, refinement and handling. In fact, the VR beat the then current N/A 911 and BMW M5 in the 30-50 and 50-70 incremental times :shock: Small wonder then that the VR6 was met with rapturous applaud from the motoring press.

Look in the back of the Evo magazine in "the knowledge" section:-

Corrado VR6 92-95 - 0-60 = 6.2 seconds, top speed = 146mph. + "still to be bettered for all round ability and appeal" - "Errr....."

Enough said!

I bought our corrado from a guy who collects mustangs

His wife wouldnt let him buy his fourth without selling the car we bought from him :-)

I agree with Kev, the Corrado is too young to be considered a 'classic' just yet, however the potential is deffinatly there. Rarity, desirability, quaility and reputation, the Corrado got them all in spades. The VR especially was, and still is an aspirational car. Mention them to anyone whos into cars and is old enough to remember the 90's ;) and you'll invariably get a positive reaction. IMO all of the above define a classic, just give it a few years.

the fact that we all drive round in practically the same body-shape is also what'll make the Corrado a classic and its another reason why i don't want VW to make a replacement Corrado now or in the future :wink:

I have a 1993 edition of Autocar where they did a back-to-back road test with a Corrado VR

I have that edition of Autocar too (bought at the time of issue) and wanted a Corrado VR6 since reading that article.

IMO the Corrado is borderline classic at the moment - just needs a couple more years 'til all parts are obsolete - then it'll be a true classic :wink:

As for the VR6 and G60 remaining the most sought after - I'm not too sure. The performance of classic cars becomes less of an issue - just look at how many fairly normal cars are nearly as quick as a VR compared to when it was launched - so the perhaps the 8v and 16v models will become just as desirable (especially the earliest models).

...and it was too expensive.

Dead cert classic then, just like the best of them :D

Another key point is that the shape hasn't dated too badly.

As Top Gear said, 'who'd want to be seen getting out of a Calibra' :shock:

definately a classic... just look at the price of parts... :roll: :evil: :lol: