Sign in to follow this  
Dub Style

What are the tell tale signs of original mileage

My car only had part service history when i bought it. I just want to know are there any key areas the can give you an idea roughly the mileage the car has actually done i.e worn gearknob pedal rubbers things like that.

My vr is showing 95k now and there is no wear on the pedal rubbers, the gearknob is mint the car has got cloth interior and the drivers side is mint no wear at all.........is there anything else that can give it away?

If it's been clocked then the MFA could...

1) Reset every time you start the car (setting 1 will always reset after 2hrs of the car being off, but MFA 2 shouldn't unless you disconnect the battery or force it to reset).

2) Flash when you first start the car

Other than that, the gearknob, steering wheel, carpets and seats give it away if it's done huge mileage, but it sounds about right.

The last one is, you can always get an HPI check done on it at http://www.hpicheck.com . It'll cost you £39.95, but it's worth it for piece of mind.

I guess check the dash screws for damage, although, the Corrado is getting on a bit now and therefore may well have had the clocks out for genuine repairs. Always ask why any screws etc... look damaged.

the only accurate way in the UK is to get the DVLA to give you the names and addresses of the previous owners of the vehicle and to give 'em a call, asking what the milage was when they sold it... :|

Nothing else will give it away... that's how I got caught out with J-DUB... :( I bought her with 98Kmiles and she actually had closer to 225Kmiles on her, but there were no real signs to show it... :| Even if I'd have HPI'd it, they'd possibly still have had no record of what the milage should have been.

The DVLA has no records on milage for private vehicles, unless you fill in the optional milage box on the V5 when you sell the car...

A good trick is to get the chassis and engine numbers and phone VW. Ask them when the last service was, and what milage it was done at... that's how I finally confirmed what my milage should have been and roughly when it was clocked... :(

Nip down to your local friendly vw stealers, sweet talk the parts department and give them your reg number - they can check on the pooter when the car was last booked in for service etc, and the mileage is recorded. Will at least help you figure what it should be around, based on average mileage etc.