Sign in to follow this  
morgan

USA style third brakelight

does anyone know how these USA style lights are fitted and if the tailgates in the states have a special recess in them.

They did a piece in the sprinter some time ago on doing this to UK cars. I will see if I can dig it out.

I think Kevhawire did this to his car (third brake light) but it is on the interior rear window, looks better this way imo.

there's also some wires running to the light which you'd have to run if you're thinking of doing this mod...

Running cables through the tailgate to the US spec light is NOT fun.... :| It's much easier if you do a Kev style mod though... 8)

if your car is lowered then the american third brake light is to low to see from the second car behind you, which is the main reason for them, put one on the center of the screen at the top.

if your car is lowered then the american third brake light is to low to see from the second car behind you, which is the main reason for them, put one on the center of the screen at the top.

What?

Where you got that from, you can see mine fine on my US spec C!

there's also some wires running to the light which you'd have to run if you're thinking of doing this mod...

Oh yeah, nasty, don't you have to run it to the roof then down to the tail...

yup, run the wires from the normal brake lights, up under the C pillar trim, under the roof cloth, through the rubber boot into the tail gate, and then down inside the metal skins of the boot lid into the bottom bit... not nice to do... Gotta do it again this weekend for a little toy on H-YYU... :| Both of 'em are thick cables too... :(

What?

Where you got that from, you can see mine fine on my US spec C!

The Seat Cordoba has one in the same position as the American Spec Corrado, you can only just see it through the car infronts screens. I know cos i commented on it when i was in my G/fs 206CC. so you put it on a LOWERED C and its even lower, making it hard to see from the third car prospective. thats why if you car is lowered, i'd still it at the top of the rear screen.

Seat Coradaba

what is this a spanish cordoba?

thats what i ment to type lol, but its actually a Toledo i bet i spelt that wrong too. (you know the Leon with a boot/saloon variant, not a Ibiza with a boot/saloon variant)

Spelling was never my strong point, Can we have a spell checker on here please. I'm the F7 generation.

These 3 brake lights are mounted right below the licence plate lights and you will have to wire them up and cut a hole in the rear hatch. I have to give credit to VW as they did a good job mounting this light and it doesn't stick out at all. In North America the rear fog lights are not used so on my car I wired them to act as extra brake lights. Where I live the average driver probably has about 3 years under their belt and we give away licences like they are going out of style so the more brake lights you have on the rear the better...

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado/Tails1.jpg

The area the third brake light is mounted in is also no flat but very rounded so it may be a problem to mount another one there. I checked the price from a buddy and trade price on this is about $79 CAD which is around 35 GBP (My keyboard doesn't have a key for a pound sign). I'm sure this would be easy to find used in North America as most Corrado's die front end first here. If you guys want better pics of this light me know and I will snap some more.

Cheers, Dennis

And just so that everyone knows what the US-spec 3rd brake light looks like again, I couldn't resist but to use as an example my US-spec Rado :lol:

s3rear.jpg

Tempest

As far as being visable from the second car, I think it was more intended to be an attention getter more, it's not really that much higher than the tails. I agree with Insane, that's how mine is set up as well.

Running cables through the tailgate to the US spec light is NOT fun.... :| It's much easier if you do a Kev style mod though... 8)

You must mean this, LOL!

Much better from a visibility point of view.

running the wire's is a pain in the arse but thats the easy bit ,its having the ollox to just cut a hole out of the tailgate right first time thats hard 8),here's a pic of mine.