Sign in to follow this  
task

your opinion on a possible new car...

now that I have saved some money to get a new car,I am stuck between two cars on which one should I get? golf 4 VR6, or golf 4 2.0L , of course you will say the vr6 but there is a huge price difference between them. about 4000$, I am affraid that if I get the 2L I would be disappointed with it's power(so used to the corrado that I would not settle for less or at least the same power) so here's what I am thinking get the 2L and fit a turbo on it, it should give me at least 200Bhp, right?

what do you guys recommend. :roll:

How about a 1.8T?

The 2.0 is boomy and gutless and handles poorly. The VR6 would be my choice, or the 24V if you can stretch that far?

It wouldn't be cost effective considering there is already a 1.8turbo available, rather spend money and upgrade it to 225 bhp spec

the thing is I found this MK4 2L for a relatively low price and it has only done 41k ,I was considering a MK4 vr6 or a r32 maybe but this car came out of nowhere and took my attention I will be getting it if it is not too hard of a job to fit a turbo in it.

as for what kev is saying about it"boomy gutless and poor handling" well that kinda threw me back if it is true. isn't it the same chassis as the vr and the 1.8t.

lets say I got this car for free, is it worth working on it(upgrading it) or

should I continue stuffing my piggybank for a MK4 VR6. probably for next year.

I'm afraid it most definitely is boomy and gutless, if the UK market 2.0 8V is anything to go buy. You get a really nasty resonance in the cabin at 4000rpm and vibration too..... The VR6 and 1.8T are nothing like as bad as the 2.0, the VR6 being the smoothest, quietest and quickest of the MK4s at that age. Obviously the R32 is the MK4 King but they're still expensive.

Alright ........

will not get the car then.

does the euro version of the VR6 come 2.9L or 2.8L.

The VR6 engine was never put into the MK4 Golf in the UK. We only got the 24V VR6 4Motion, 2.8L. Your MK4 VR6s will be 2.8.

The Euro Corrado and MK3 Golf Synchro only got the 2.9 I believe, and possibly a Passat.