Sign in to follow this  
gavkt

Rotor Arm probs

hi

Can anyone help me? I have just bought a replacement distributor cap and rotor arm. The cap was easy to fit but I can't remove the rotor arm at all. I thought it was a simple case of pulling it off. But now I’m thinking there might be a little more to it, as it seems to be completely stuck fast.

Is there a method for this?

I have a 92 VR6!

No screws or bolts, it will pull off but it isn't going to give up without a fight. I ended up using a pair of pliers and gently twisting and wiggling to get them off. I think I read years ago that the factory used glue or something on it for unknown reasons.

Dennis

Yeah I believe VW used glue. I changed it on my valver and by the time it was off it was in a million bits. DON'T use a hammer or you'll create more problems, I used grips to break it off piece by piece but very carefully.

Yeah I believe VW used glue

I've heard that as well, I've changed a buddies a few times over the years and never had a problem so I would not use glue again. I think the boys at the factory were sniffing glue when they decided to glue it on the distributer.

Cheers, Dennis

I had to use molegrips and a small hacksaw blade to remove the rotor arm on my old valver.. what a ballache that was :( Replaced the new one without any glue and it was fine..

Aye. The reason for the glue is VW being cautious. There were a few cases on early 16Vs where poorly fitted rotor arms were flying off at high revs and smashing through the dizzy cap - so VW/Bosch took no chances and new distributors from Bosch came from the factory with a rotor arm ready glued on. This problem was also isolated to the horizontally mounted distributors, so the VR6 got glued too.

There's no need to glue the new one on, just make sure it's on fully!