Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

blue temp sensor broken

ok been having problems getting my car past 500 RPMS a lot lately, dont know what it is, though it was a vacuum leak. well before I work on it tomorrow I thought tonight I would check to see if I could hear anything first, I start the car and it sits at 500 again, I unplug the blue temp sender and it makes no difference, I just replaced the sensor 3 days ago and it made a slight difference then, it allowed my revs to go up for once, wondering if there is faulty wiring somewhere cause I dont know where it is.

You can dump the temp readings out using VAGCOM. If the sensor is broken, it'll be obvious from those.

There are a few was to test this sensor, if you look at the electrical tests in the Bentley manual it shows how to test this. You can measure the resistance at the switch and then check it at the ECU and see if you get the same reading. If you have a VR6 you can hook it up to a VAG-COM and then compare the data block with the ECU temp signal to the temp gauge in the dash, they should be very close.

Cheers, Dennis

He's got a G60, you can measure the resistance accross the pins from cold and you can also swap the blue and black plugs over to test...

ok its not the blue temp sender its something else, sensor reads fine. the car idled correctly for about 10 seconds after I altered the vacuum pumps hose config, I revved it and it dropped back down to crappyness, it just sits low, I have fuel flowing out because the spark plugs are black and the excess is coming out exhaust, computer is being retarded and getting snagged on something that is making ignition idle at 500, I am about to take it to a shop, 3 hours of testing till I do, If anyone just randomly knows what it is CALL ME. I need this thing to work today.

1-707-477-4203

When you unplug the blue temp sender it should go into service mode unless you have a second sensor failed somwhere else. Digifant can compensate for one sender failing but as soon as you unplug the blue temp sender the ECU sees its as having two senders down, hence why it will not go into service mode.

Check the resitance across the two sender pins on the blue temp sender when the engine is warm, it should read in the region of 250-300ohms.

If your sure that the vac hoses are all connected securely and are undamaged check the voltage that the alternator is kicking out. Anything below 12.8v and digi goes into overfuel. You should see a good 13.8v with all electrical ancilaries switched on whist doing this test.

ok sounds good will try this, there must be another sensor failed elsewhere I cant think of any besides black water sensor, what sensors could fail and where are they? I have replaced oil pressure and temp along with blue water, thermo, and aux fan.