Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

VR6 Alloy Baffled Sump Group Buy....

... going on just now on vr6oc here

Normal Price of these sumps are £127.99 + VAT... If between 10-20 would like to order these, there will be a discount of between 10 and 15%.

Contact VR6Pete on there if you want to buy one, im down as a definate as ive already lost an engine due to oil surging which is exactly what these will prevent.

Advantages of a baffled sump:

Prevents oil surging during hard cornering.

Increased oil capacity.

Alloy so helps to cool the oil more than a standard sump.

Disadvantages:

Possibly sits a bit lower, so would be more prone to hitting the ground on very low cars.

Alloy, so if it does hit the ground it could crack or shatter instead of denting like the standard sump.

I should also mention I think this is a vag part, fitted as standard to the american mk4 12v vr6.

I would be interested in a new sump as I've nearly worn through the original one. Problem is that this one will sit lower. Are there any which would give more clearance available, or does the oil pump strainer sit right on the bottom so this isn't possible?

Rpmayne if you read the full post on VR6OC they say that it doesnt sit any lower.

My fear is mine hits the floor quite often, it has a few large dints in it and it is wearing through is a few places.

I dont thing any allow one would be able to stand that sort of punishment, heard a few storys of the mk4 bottoming out a cracking the sump!

Ant thats a mk4, my c only has about 40mm sump clearance!

Sorry, missed that link, abit early for me at the time. Sounds like yours is about the same clearance as mine. Had a plate welded on the lump infront of the sump plug because it nearly went through. That plate has now gone, so really need to sort something before it springs a leak.

They won't fit 4 cylinder cars... :(

Stealth (and other places including G-Werks IIRC) sell the Shrick baffled sump for the 4 cylinder cars which is very good... 8)

Joe how go the engine troubles?

I am very tempted by one of these after what happened to your VR! My car is -40mm, think I'd be OK? My sump is rusty and full of dents at the moment so needs replacing anyway.....

Replacement engine is going in at the moment. I reckon you should be ok with that, mine has never actually been hit and I dont think there was a big difference in height between our cars.

Alot of good infor here on this.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread ... 001&page=1

Just spent a while searchin Vortex, the Mk 4 sump fits but the little inspection cover for the transmission will no longer fit. Guess you leave it open, which sems to be what most do or fab something.

I have mailed a US company for a bulk purchase. I'll post the reply when I get it.

The mk4 sump covers up most of where the inspection cover goes, only bit thats not covered is where one of the bolts used to go. Nothing to worry about.

I'm interested. Will check the Golf site.

Another advantage of the alloy sump is a better seal to the block. The steel sump tends to bend when people overtighten the sump bolts, causing seeping. The alloy sump is rigid and therefore won't bend and leak.

I rang the local stealer today and asked for a price on the std Mk4 alloy sump 021 103 601 L. I explained what I was doing and he quoted me £83.94 inc VAT . Quite a bit cheaper than 127+VAT. I'm thinking this must be wrong given the cost above of £127 + VAT. I will check tomorrow I think he quoted me for 021 103 601 B std steel.

I reckon the cheaper price is probably the mk4 24v sump, and its likely different from the 12v one.

Just checked my local Stealers and they can supply 021 103 601L for £76 all in which is off a 24v lump, dont know if this will fit and would it be cool to use the exsisting gasket or have to use silcone to seal?

That is the cheapest they can do it as they only make 2% on the deal they normally give me 20% off but can only do 10% on this item!! :?

They come with the plug also fitted.

Just checked my local Stealers and they can supply 021 103 601L for £76 all in which is off a 24v lump, dont know if this will fit and would it be cool to use the exsisting gasket or have to use silcone to seal?

That is the cheapest they can do it as they only make 2% on the deal they normally give me 20% off but can only do 10% on this item!! :?

They come with the plug also fitted.

The local Fraud guy said £64 (std fraud price is 71+) all in but would not sell it to me if it wasn't going on a Fraud as he was worried it wouldnt and then be returned.

Beware there are two types one with oil level sensor hole and one without.

Aluminium pans can shatter if something hits them.

The Mk4 bolts are required

No gasket is needed, you use sealer.

They take more oil about another litre. This is probably good as with the baffling its got to be good for starvation and resultant wear.

More Info:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=925328

Wonder if GSF or ECP sell them?

Threads gone a bit quiet, any you guys got an update or should I just buy a second hand standard one for 20 quid :?

Perhaps a standard sump with a windage tray in it? I think you might be able to clip a 16V plastic baffle to the oil pump pick up too.

I think I'd cringe every time I go over a speed hump with an alloy sump tbh....

well seeing as a standard O/E spec sump is less than £50 from VW.........might be an idea to see if someone can either design some baffles and/or fabricate baffles into them