Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Classic car insurance..

I was chatting to my insurance company today who cover my Corrado on a classic policy. I was talking to them about the policy and I discovered something quite interesting.

When you take out a classic policy with Carole Nash (Chorsa as underwriters) on a Corrado it is not calculated using your NCB as a factor.

Why is the of interest? Well it means that you can, in theory, buy a Corrado, have no NCB and insure it fully comp for £500 ish..

Obviously there are limitation on it's use but I thought thats quite tempting to people without a lot of NCB.

I do think you need to be over 25 but still a good deal IMO

It'd be ideal for me - I use my no-claims on my other car.

Any contact details for this insurance company ?

Thought id have a quick look at there website and found this

"We recognise any car registered in 1983 or before as a classic"

So how can you insure a C as a classic.........remember i might be missing something LOL

I was chatting to my insurance company today who cover my Corrado on a classic policy. I was talking to them about the policy and I discovered something quite interesting.

When you take out a classic policy with Carole Nash (Chorsa as underwriters) on a Corrado it is not calculated using your NCB as a factor.

Why is the of interest? Well it means that you can, in theory, buy a Corrado, have no NCB and insure it fully comp for £500 ish..

Obviously there are limitation on it's use but I thought thats quite tempting to people without a lot of NCB.

I do think you need to be over 25 but still a good deal IMO

sorry to spoil the party here.......but the car you have insured with Carole Nash cannot be your main car.............so you need to have another car insured at the same time

Thought id have a quick look at there website and found this

"We recognise any car registered in 1983 or before as a classic"

So how can you insure a C as a classic.........remember i might be missing something LOL

it also depends on if the car has a dedicated club to the particular model of car..........for instance GTI's/XR's/RS's made after 83 would probably qualify.......i use Carole Nash for my 924 and thats on a 86 C-reg

I had a chat with the Carole Nash people at the Classic show the other week and found that (at the time) they DIDN'T consider the Corrado to be a classic, although about 6 months before I HAD had a quote from them on a classic policy. When asked why they had changed their minds, the only thing the guy could come up with was that the underwriters kept changing their minds on what was and wasn't classics...

JrB - who insures his Scirocco Storm for £120 a year... ;) Agreed value of £4k and all mods included...

AON are the boys to go with in my opinion. £350 fully comp (mileage restrictions obviously)

So if theyre asking £350 for me and im in Northern Ireland..i imagine it would be even cheaper to you guys in the mainland.

I had a chat with the guy as well. In short theres no exact criteria that decides whether either the car is eligible or the owner is eligible for the policy. It all depends on the criteria set out by the underwriter.

In MY case;

29 years old

No claims

No convitions

garaged car

Limited mileage policy

Access to other vehicles

1993 registered car

They ran it throught the the mill and Chorsa underwrote my car using Carolenash as an intermediary.

I thought wrongly that there were hard and fast rules as to what was a classic car but I was wrong!

If you are going for classic insurance try Footman James. They do my Golf Gti (C reg) for £206 for the year, that includes my GF and a couple of declared mods. Thats for 4500 miles. Just don't tell them about any track day plans.

Even better, agreed a value of £1500 from 2 photos and its a shed, lol.

I think their criteria needs the car to be 15 years old plus. So some early C's should comply.

15 yrs plus....thats also what HIC said, most insurers will 'mirror' NCB on your other policies so the lack of NCB on your 2nd car does not really matter.....

This is something I'm thinking about doing too as have a company car and the C is just an expensive w/e toy...

Just a couple of quick questions:

If NCB isn't counted does that mean you don't build up any extra NCB on a classic policy as well?

And also, if it's insured for low use is there a limit on your yearly milage?

Cheers

Phil

Dont know if this will be of any help to you or not...

I use a company called Peter Best Insurance for my Karmann Ghia. Restricted on mileage etc, but Fully comp in under £90. you can give them a call on 01621 840400.

The VR is with Privilege and costs me under £500 a year Fully Comp.

Both my Roccos are with HIC on a classic cars insurance, restricted mileage to 3000 each, agreed valuation (that was very important to me), and funnily enough they now have started giving NCB!

Tempest