Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

chrishills silver vr6 - the wheels are on!

Cheers mate! I've a Blackberry VR on Konis/H&R springs which only drops the car 30mm - but it still looks OK! I think i'd be better off with 17' to fill the gap in the arch better than my current 16'. I really like these RH's - your car looks stunning! - think they're look great on mine aswell! It was out of these or multi- spokes( Keskin KT-4's or similar ).

Do u think i'd get them on the rear with ET27 (they come in ET32/27) - my cars only dropped 30mm on Koni-H&R's. My thoughts are on the whether they will rub the arch? Note my cars a 1994 model - slightly wider arches i think? :roll:

As far as I know all VR's were the late shape, so the arches on yours and mine should be the same. I'm not sure about ET27 on the back, they might stick out a little too far and foul the arches over bumps (lower the ET further out they stick IIRC) bare in mind that the original offet for a VR is 40 so you really want to get as close to that as possible. are you trying to get the 'wider at the back' look?

Thats right Chris, the staggered look! Theres only 5mm in the 2 ET's but i reckon it'll look better than having the front and back the same ET - thats if it does'nt catch the arch! The thing in my favour is that i've only a 30mm drop(Koni/H&R). Been considering what many people do with the 16' wheels which sometimes are 9' wide and running ET15! They stick right out albeit in 16' form. My worst fear is to order the wheels and find they rub and look sh-t. Some quick calculations say to me they will probably go - but its a risk.The other option (wiser!) would be to get same ET and run a small spacer - but l wanted to aviod spacers! Taking some of A20LEE's early postings (members galeries) - I'm sure he ran 8.5x17 ET32 with a 205 rubber with initially standard arches without rear rubbing. The lower ET (27) BUT narrower rim (8') would make my setup very similar! Thoughts please...

well mine are the 8x17's with a 60mm drop and theres no rear rub, I had a look while washing the car an I think you might just about get away with it, there probably 'just' 5mm extra they could come out. Personally after having spacers on the front I would say AVOID AT ALL COSTS! unless you pay the extra for hubcentric ones (not sure where you'd get them, henny told me about them) They're a mare to get even remotly even around the hub, and then they wobbled like a fat lass on a washing machine. Unless you want a real euro sticky out wheels look I'd say the ET32 would suit you, they do stick out more than most other 17's i've seen but they're not 'steamroller wheels', for me theres a fine line, basically past the arch lip is too much!

I get u point Chris. The staggered look will be very suttle - there's only 5mm in it! I just feel the slightly wider arse is better on motors - not so for birds :) The line i wanted for the wheel was just in line - or slightly past the arch with the 205 tyre allowing arch clearance with the stretch. Its borderline i know but should just go! How much did u pay to have your arches rolled? There will be a slight "euro" look but nothing like the mad (but cool!) 16x9 ET15 setup! The one thing i hate on rado's is wheels that are burried in the arch - i suppose VW intended for handling etc. - the car has a great muscular appearance and these high ET wheels just dont suit in my book! Yours look great but because these a "slightly" lower ET available.....well why not!

IIRC the rear track is slightly narrower anyway...but may be wrong! :)

I've not had my arches rolled, even with the 3mm spacers on the front taking them to ET29 they only caught the arch liner, not the metal of the arch itself.

Cheers Chris for some usefil advice!

Here's some more.

The Corrado has a name for handling well, at least for an old car.

The reason mainly is that the rear axle is narrower than the front track ala racing karts and totally changing the set up to staggered is just wrong unless purely for aesthetic reasons but other than for that i wouldn't go that way.

Do a search cos there's plenty of coverage on this topic!

Chris

I have to say they've transformed the look of an otherwise mediocre car, I've had alot of compliments on it which i doubt I would get running the speedlines!

Why was your car mediocre? Looked OK to me before you put the RHs on....

I don't know why everyone gives standard wheels such a bashing....they're what helped make the Corrado a fine handling machine in the first place. VW didn't choose speedline and BBS for the hell of it, they're two of the lightest wheel manufacturers around and I personally think the VR looks better on Speedlines than a lot of 17s out there....

Just my personal opinion, it did look 'ok' before I put the RH's on but it wasnt anything special, just a fairly tidy C. The photos I've posted hide a multitude of sins, theres a fair few bits of bodywork which need looking at. Maybe I'm just too harsh, its a 13 year old car at the end of the day and yeah, looking at it a layman probably wouldnt guess that, but the RH's transformed its look into something far more beefy and 'fat'. I'm sure alot of the compliments I've got are based on the wheels giving it that wider stance and enhancing the look of the rest of the car while distracting you from the inperfections. Its a matter of taste and opinion I suppose, I agree the OE wheels are part of the package that made the C so good in the first place, but I dont find them as aesthetically pleasing as a nice set of 17's. I know by putting big heavy wheels on i've lost some of what the corrado is about, but it doesnt get pushed that hard in its daily life, so the finer points of the handling become a little reduntant. Plus i'm a tart and like sparkly things. :)

why was it only fairly tidy? Poor car, you'll hurt is feelings, chris. Don't you know they,re temperamental beasts and calling it mediocre and only fairly tidy will result in it breaking down on a cold, miserable wet night just to p!55 you off!! :)

I'm just looking at it in comparison to cars like OSV's, Kev's and Moonlight(midnight?)VR's, you've got to have something to aim for havent you! If I said it was perfect firstly I'd be lying and secondly I'd loose the motivation to get it the way I want it. I think it's already in the huff because I cant afford to buy it a supercharger :lol: I make up for it by giving it nice bubble baths and a good rub down at the weekends though.

I personally think the VR looks better on Speedlines than a lot of 17s out there....

Just like your avatar those wheels look w@nk! :wink: :lol:

Chris

I make up for it by giving it nice bubble baths and a good rub down at the weekends though.

I can imagine the scene - you all soaped up rubbing it down topless - no the wonder its in the huff - its nothing to do with a charger, it thinks you think its GAY!!! :lol:

I'm not sure I like you thinking about me washing my car topless... I'm not sure I like ME thinking about it either!

hold on a second... its always well groomed, likes designer labels... I think you might be on to something there... I'm going to check my glovebox for hidden showtunes CD's

just remember who owned it before me *cough*

I personally think the VR looks better on Speedlines than a lot of 17s out there....

Just like your avatar those wheels look w@nk! :wink: :lol:

Chris

Ah thanks Tosky, I love you too :lol:

all questions of my cars sexuality can be laid to rest with the news that on the way in to work this morning it did its very best to rear-end an example of that notorious girls car - the MX5.