Sign in to follow this  
fla

Auxiliary Cooling pump

With the key in the "on" position i can hear a motor whirring noise in the cabin which I beleive is the fuel pump. However, on lifting the bonnet the auxilary cooling pump is running. Is this normal and is this the whirring I can hear in the cabin? If not, maybe the fuel pump is dead? How best to check this?

Thanks all

The aux pump runs whenever the ignition is turned on, whether the engine is running or not. Comes on with the fans too.

Dont worry its fine!!

T.

There are a few things that will make a buzzing noise with the ignition one. The ABS system will prime when you turn on the ignition but it will stop when the ignition is turned off. The ISV will also buzz but it is very quite so you shouldn't be able to hear it. The auxilery coolant pump is different on different years so it may be this. One my 1994 Canadian spec VR6 it is on as soon as I turn the ignition to on and will stay on for 10 minutes after I turn the car off. On older VR6's it is only on when the temps are high so it would depend which coolant system control module you have in the car.

Dennis

On older VR6's it is only on when the temps are high so it would depend which coolant system control module you have in the car.

mines a 92 (early VR) and it comes on with the ignition

The reason I mentioned the coolant control module was be cause early cars used a relay and newer cars used the module on the left side strut. In North America all Corrado's made before 1993 didn't have this module unless it had the VW heater system recall. In fact, we didn't even have a 1992 Corrado of any kind in Canada, we had a 1991 G60 or a 1993 VR6. A better way to put this using North Amercan standards would be, if your car has a control module like the one in the second pic in this thread marked as # 1 then yours will turn on with the ignition and it will turn off about 10 minutes after the car has been shut off. If your car uses a different controller then it will go on with high temps or the AC unless this is another one of the differences between North American cars and European cars.

Cheers, Dennis

Useful info as always, Dennis. BTW, what is the alloy block to the LHS of item 3 ("bling" cylinder head cover) on pic 5 and what does it do? Can this be simply uncrewed and cleaned up with a wire brush - mines a bit yellow?