Sign in to follow this  
Dixxy

Please help me go faster!!!!

Recently got a really nice VR6 after owning a 16v for a couple of years. Its a great car but 190BHP out of a 2.9 engine is it just me or does that disappoint anyone else?

I'm trying to add some BHP and looking around for the best way to do it.... please help me out. Can anyone comment on

CAT replacement pipe... worth doing (is there any gain?)

AMD chip and big thoatle body (has anyone had this done? is there a noticable gain?)

And another thing i've just got hold of calapers and carriers to put 312MM brakes on the front... has anyone done this or come across any problems?

It's not about quantity, it's about quality... ;)

Most people don't rate the cat bypass pipe too highly. The throttle body has a bigger impact, but do bear in mind this is a 1992 2-valve per cylinder engine. 2.9 litres (2861cc actually) it may be, and with 24 valves it might well have produced 210-220 bhp, but bear in mind the time of it's production..

Of course you can always slap on a big valve head, throttle body, Schrick manifold and some tasty cams and get around 230-240 bhp..

Or just go the turbo/super charger route for 270-300+ bhp, depending on budget...

The only limit is the depth of your wallet, really...

There's no doubt its full of quality... and don't get me wrong im the biggest corrado fan there is but... just feel i need a bit more out ot it 205bhp 210 would suit. Do you think / know that the AMD chip and throttle body can provide this. Have you heard good things about it?

Just having a quick search for super chargers... know anyone who provides them?

just bang on a supercharger mate, second hand prices anywhere between £1200 - £2000, would work out cheaper than shrick, cams and chipping, plus you would have more power and that sound Mmmmmm :D

Know anywhere that sales them new? also maybe you could clear up my lupo wiper confusion... do i need two drivers side arms??

Take AMD's quoted power increases with a pinch of salt. Some people are pleased with their service, others have been unimpressed. But at least you get a nice plot showing your on-spec "+10bhp" to show your mates down the pub.. ;)

You can do the same for less than AMD's quoted prices - there's a sticky thread on the forum somewhere from a guy who'll supply an enlarged TB exchange for your old one, for a start. You'll most likely not even need a rechip to take advantage of it.

depends on your goals. A set of cat 263° camshafts would be very cheap if purchased from the states and would net you 15bhp over 4k. An intake and exhaust would net you another 9-12hp as well.

Though it should be stated that the majority of people who feel disappointed with the performance of their VR6s find out that there's something wrong with them shortly afterwards...

You had a 16v before? It should be pretty obvious to you where the extra power comes in now.. if it's not, you've probably got some faulty engine sensors.. :)

like i said i'd like about 210+... Already got an exhaust but was thinking about loosing the CAT not sure what gain i'd get tho. Ideally i'd like to get the 210+ without taking the head off as it been completely rebuilt recently. I was thinking Chip / throttle body etc but really wanted someone who's done the work and got the gains to give me the confidence to get off my ass and do the work/spend the money.

The C definently needs a little more if only so i can blow away my friends MK1 2L racer and MK2 2L racer

Hell No!! nothing wrong with my C. its running really well 190bhp just really would like more out of it. Would like it to really shift

Mine's got the 'full works' naturally aspirated setup:-

Schrick 268 cams

Schrick VGI manifold

AMD big throttle

AMD remap

That's about as far as you can take the VR without getting into big money heads and capacity increases. Stealth racing usually see around 220bhp with that little lot on average.

Bang per buck, I think supercharging is better value overall.

The setup listed above makes for an entertaining motor. It really hauls arse from 3000rpm to the redline, which is 7000rpm with the cams (if you increase the limiter with the remap). The cams will lose you a slight bit of bottom end (below 2000rpm) but it's not such a big loss that it's a hinderance.

Put it this way....an RS Focus couldn't get past me on the M5 last week and neither could an Audi S3...so it can certainly cut it with todays hot hatches. A Supercharger would leave them for dead if racing is your bag.

I only showed them a 10 year old Volkswagen could make their life difficult due them anatagonising me with tailgating.

K

Good work its always nice to see the look on their faces when they can do nothing about a ten year old car.... i'm sure the charger is the way to go... Would be great if someone could point me in the direction of a reasonably priced piece of kit.... where do you stand on the CAT by pass issue - any gain to be had here?

Another big point.... where does everyone stand on induction kits? i've heard mixed responses. Currently i've got a high flow panel filter in the standard air box.

Induction kit - BMC CDA is the only one worth getting. Noticable midrange gains and a noise to die for on part throttle. The creamiest rumble you could wish for, sounds feckin awesome.

Cat by pass - Yes if going forced induction, don't bother if sticking with naturally aspirated. NA needs back pressure to help with cylinder scavenging. It's not such an issue with FI.

BMC CDA kit avaiable from Motorsportworld for £158.24 that is listed for the 2.8 vr6 tho.

is this the kit? good price?

Are you running this? does it come highly recommended.

Personnally i think the vr6 is the greatest sounding engine i've ever heard (for the money of course)

The BMC needs a rubber coupling to join it to the MAF sensor. Stealth Racing are the only supplier that give you this as it's not included in the kit. £160 delivered from them. http://www.stealthracing.co.uk

Golf/Corrado VR6, it's the same filter.

Yes I did run that filter for a short while but I prefer to keep the induction silent as I have a very expensive stereo that I like to hear when gunning it :wink:

If you don't mind a bit of noise, then it's fantastic, simple as that.

I personally think BMW's six sounds a lot better, but the VR noise is certainly unique!