Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

whats this?

hi - just a quickie - whats an lpg conversion kit when its at home?

cheers

its Liquified Petroluem Gas.............cheapo fuel tho the conversion can cost a bit

It's a kit that you install to allow your car to run on liquified petroleum gas (LPG) fuel. The main components in the kit will usually consist of a secondary gas tank with its own filling point, gas injectors, a vapouriser, an electronic control unit and a switch to activate/deactivate the gas system from within the car.

The benefit of such a system is the (currently) low duty being charged on LPG fuel by the government. You'd have to travel a fair few miles to cover the cost of the system and installation with the savings though. It's a good solution for petrol-powered taxis and company vehicles.

and its cleaner burning than normal petrol so(amongst other things) you're oil doesn't de-grade as quickly......tho at the moment it is "cheap" due to their not be nearly as much duty on it as petrol.....however........ive also heard this won't be the case for much longer than a couple of years

i (being a taxi driver for 7 years) used to have a lpg converted automatic vauxhall omega. lpg runs alot cleaner and you really cant notice a difference in performance. like bc student said, you do have to do alot of millage to cover the cost of installation....but once you've broken even your loving it! i was paying 23p per litre.

on the down side though is that you have to store a BIG gas tank somewhere in the car and it is also just another thing to go wrong!...the thought of suddenly changeing the type of fuel a car runs on when it has already covered over 100,000 miles is tempting fate somwwhat!

Wouldn't be surprised if the government pulled the same trick with LPG that they did with diesel. Great technology but, i'm in no rush to embrace it.. I think diesel is where i'll be going next.