Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Stormseeker seeking storm...

Hi there everyone,

just registered and thought I'd say hello! :D

I'm currently Corrado-less, but looking to buy a Storm (which I think may be a lengthy process... :wink: )

I nearly bought one in 1996, but then babies happened, and ended up trading my beloved 205 GTi 1.9 for, wait for it, a Discovery Tdi! What was I thinking of? Family Tractor that's what!

Anyway, some years later sanity has returned, and so I'm now looking for a nice tidy VR6 Storm.

Part of this project (to raise cash for the insurance premiums!) is a mega ebay selling spree of any old junk(!) I can find, including an original VW Storm sales brochure from 1995 - if anyone's interested in collecting that sort of thing have a look on ebay, item no. 754061849

So, bye for now :-)

Chris.

It is most definately worth hunting for mint & unmodified originals. They only ever made 500 Storms, so they are getting pretty few and far between.

Expect to pay anything from £7,000 to £9,000 for a very good condition one - and make you sure you look for the specific Storm features (as lots of people try and sell VR6's as Storms, when in fact they are not). Storms should have as standard :

* Red 'Storm' badging on rear of car

* Red 'Storm' badging on centre console

* Solitude six spoke alloy wheels

* Leather interior (cream on Classic Green and black on Mystic Blue)

* Should be either 'Mystic Blue' or 'Classic Green' colour.

Good luck.. and don't rush. Plenty of people have ruined Corrado's by missing services and just thrashing the arse off em..

:)

Thanks for the advice. Part of the justification to the financial controller (mrs.) is that it would be an "investment" :wink: so I'm prepared to spend some finding the right one.

Watch this space...

if you want to get a corrado as an investment better get a "campaign" one.....only 6 made and very very lush 8)....i luv the red leather interior and red dash :D

to be honest....speaking from experience...me being a storm owner etc....i would look for the best condition and spec vr6 that you can find.....i've seen a lot of non-storm vr6's having a lot better equipment than mine for quite a bit less than what i paid for mine

if you can get a vr6 with recarro leather,h/light washers and a/c(providing it works)and of course in a nice dark metallic that in my opinion would be a better car to get than most storms.....though to be honest i wouldn't part with mine at all

also the other thing about storms is that there is no recognition of it being a storm in the logbook the only ways that you can be sure that your looking at a genuine storm(the badges were easy to get a few years back) is if its a mystic blue one(unique to the storm-check the paint-code in the boot)as the classic green ones were a "normal" colour choice too or if you get chris gaskell(from the vwccgb) to confirm the chassis number matches what he has on-record for being a storm,also it shouldn't be pre-april1995 registered

hth

couldn't stomach the red of the campaign :crazyeyes:

thanks for the advice, might widen the search to late VR6's as well. It's just that I'd lusted after a storm all those years ago. .. feel like I've got to get it out of my system!

Chris

if the better half has a bit of a controling interest on the finances...like most of'em........then i would advise budgeting at least £1k on repairs and maintanence in the first year alone :shock:

even with my 1-owner storm(bought at 38k miles and fvwsh in aug2001)i've spent at least £1.5k on repairs,maintanence and wee add-ons over 14k miles.....and i also bought it from a garage so it had a warranty on it

which was used once(though it did cover the cost of buying the warranty in the first place)

also considering that the storm's only real differance between it and a leathered up vr6 is 2 badges,c/c grille and bbs solitudes...most insurance companies rate it 1 group higher than the group 18 rating the non-storm vr6 attracts

like i've said before i just luv my storm but i'm sure i would get the same thrill and enjoyment from a non-storm vr6........just don't want u to be dissapointed by finding out that the storm isn't much of a big differance from the vr6 that the premium you pay for one makes it out to be