mrbeige

Possible Spoiler FIX - Update page 3

Any one got the wiring digram for the spoiler control module? All I need is what is connected to which of the ten pins?

Tried the search but couldn't find anything specific :(

Anyone have a haynes showing which colour wires go to which pin and then what signal is coming down them?

I posted some wiring diagrams on here a few weeks ago - use the "search" feature at the top of this page - original thread was by chubbybrown

Cheers stevemac, had previously done a search and didn't find that one, but got there in the end....

Going to set the module up on an Autosim (big box of electronics that simulates the electronics signals of a car) at work and see if the module is ok....

How about posting the link for that other thread here for those that are vaguely interested but slightly lazy?.....like me!

Right I need the pin layout/ colour coding for the wires that go to the clocks. IIRC the speed pulse for the spoiler comes from the dial cluster? I've tested my spoiler control module and that works fine, so the problem must originate from the cluster?

Just found this....might be of interest to some other people too!!

Wiring diagrams for 93 corrado...american SLC though - don't know how different it is? Will the gauge cluster be different to a 2.0l 16v?

Fixed it!!!!!!!!

Spoiler wouldn't work automatically, now it does!

It was a blown transistor in the dial cluster!!! Took a bit of figuring out, but got there eventually. I'm well pleased with myself, it only been broken for 18months!

I need to borrow a digital camera so I can put a pic up on the forum. I get the feeling that it might be the problem with other peoples spoilers. The transistor has little or no protection from current going the wrong way down the speed pulse wire from either spoiler control module or radio!

Well done mrbeige, ! Any idea what transistor you needed to replace it? Sounding likely I have the same problem so want the spare ready to change when I take the instruments out rather than wait to order it. Was there an identity number for the transistor on the board so I can find it easily? Thanks.

I get the feeling that it might be the problem with other peoples spoilers. The transistor has little or no protection from current going the wrong way down the speed pulse wire from either spoiler control module or radio!

Stick a diode on it mate 8)

As this fix wasn't solely thanks to me, my friend John Scothern at work helped with the really techy bits, he has just sent me this information on the problem that causes the automatic spoiler to fail

It works as follows:

The Transistor acts as a low side switch.

When the input to the driver circuit is LOW the transistor is OFF, and the output will be pulled high by a pull-up resistor in the spoiler control unit.

When the input to the driver circuit goes HIGH, the transistor will be switched ON, and will pull the output to GND.

The capacitor is there just to filter noise on the pin.

The diode and PTC (positive temperature coefficient) resistor are a (poor) attempt at protecting the transistor from overcurrent and reverse battery connection (The diode clamps the output to GND if a negative voltage is applied).

The idea is that the PTC resistor acts like a resettable fuse - as the current through it increases, it's temperature increases, which causes its resistance to increase, which limits the current.

The problem is that the PTC's nominal resistance is between 7.8 and 13 Ohms. So if you accidentally connect battery to pin 7, you'll get between 1 and 2A (depending on battery voltage etc) through the PTC resistor and the transistor as soon as it switches on. This is enough current to immediately destroy the transistor (Icmax = 800mA), but not enough to 'trip' the resistor for several seconds!

The original transistor was a BCW66G.

The one I replaced it with is an FMMT495 (Farnell part number 302-7028).

I've attached a little schematic of the transistor circuit for completeness

I hope this may help a few of you on here, and I'll get a picture of the location of the transistor on the circuit board

Cheers

Stu

Ah, it's already got a diode in there to prevent reverse current!

Aye, and the thremal resistor that is in place isn't good enough either!!

Mr Beige, did you ever take a pic of the offending transistor - any clues as to where it might be found?

Mr Beige, did you ever take a pic of the offending transistor - any clues as to where it might be found?

I didn't mate, but it is in the bottom left hand side of the PCB. I'll try and get a pic of it next time I take the clocks out.

Its the little tiny one to the left of the two capacitors and the the right of the hole (top right of picture)

Is that any help?

Your a star mate. Thought it was. Now for micro surgery. I will put an arrow on the picture when I have time. Thanks.