Sign in to follow this  
DaveVR6

mileage display backlight

the backlight on my digital mileage display doesnt work, will this be the actuall display itself?

also I havent got any light behing my heater controls at night, Im guessing they should light up??

many thanks

D

You can change the bulb behind the heater sliders but it involves,

1. Remove both sliders and heater speed knob

2. Removing heater panel

3. Remove power connection (white connector)

4. Remove fan speed connector (move up towards the windscreen out of its slot)

5. Check that you have some power going to the white connector (Fuse?)

6. Using a small screwdriver pry "carefully" the white backing away from the black part of the controls.

7. Use small screwdriver to push the two connectors within the white panel where the bulb is and the bulb will come out.

Go to a scrappie find a golf and get a another bulb. (Try to check it somehow with a battery)

8. When putting it back together just use some glue to reattach the white panel to the black panel

Or, as DM's car looks a new shape...

Pull off centre heater dial, remove bulb enclosure, there's the bulb ;)

Take to Maplins and they'll find a suitable replacement.

And your mileage display could be a blown bulb, or a dodgy connection. You'll have to pull out the speedo binnacle (instructions in the DDI dials thread I think) and its a simple screw-cap to remove to get to the bulb. Might just be loose though.

eh??? the heaters...have lights??? :oops: ....on the late spec interior??? hmmmmm im guessing that my bulb was gone when i bought the car then!...

Yes, very BAD lighting (one weedy bulb serves all three dials via a very inefficient light-guiding-plastic-thingy, but yeah, they do illuminate :)

I managed it without breaking anything! :p

Does anyone know if you can get the colour piece of plastic that sits on the inside (that is currently green) in any other colour??

Im guessin not but jus thought id ask.

Does anyone know if you can get the colour piece of plastic that sits on the inside (that is currently green) in any other colour??

If you mean the thin piece inside the front cover panel, the easiest is to trace it out on a red/blue/any colour sheet and replace it. If you mean the green spider behind the controls when you take them out, the only option is a set of coloured leds. Someones done a good writeup on this (cant remember who) so "use the search" :wink:

Does anyone know if you can get the colour piece of plastic that sits on the inside (that is currently green)

thats the bit ive snapped...so it would be handy if u can replace them!

If you mean the thin piece inside the front cover panel, the easiest is to trace it out on a red/blue/any colour sheet and replace it. If you mean the green spider behind the controls when you take them out, the only option is a set of coloured leds. Someones done a good writeup on this (cant remember who) so "use the search" :wink:

Thats a good idea!