Sign in to follow this  
MikeVR6

Any Tips on Buying a Scirocco?

Would have to agree with Steve there, given that I 2 years ago "only" paid £1250 for my Storm with almost immaculate leather interior, NO bubbling along the doors or indeed anywhere (well, OK some slight at the rear side windows, but that was it!), new fuel filler neck, bulkhead clutch cable hole repair plate, full service history (the previous owner didn't do a lot himself, good somehow ;-) ), DX (1.8i) engine with still a healthy 12 bar compression on all pots - yes, I'll stop drooling over my Storm now :lol:.

I'd shop around a little bit more TBH.

Steve's comments on the carb'ed 1.8 may ruffle the odd feather or 2 with the carb'ed fan brigade (to which I don't belong), as I have noticed that Mk2 Roccos with properly set up carb'ed engines can still pull quite nicely at the lights from standstill, but may run out of steam at higher speeds (I have been forced into the odd race or 2 against a carb'd Rocco with my Storm ;-), don't do that anymore now, Storm's too precious :-) )

Tempest

Just spotted this beauty of a Mk2 GT2 Rocco, that a mate of mine is looking at selling (if I let him :lol:):

Only wants £900, far better buy than the one above. I know this Rocco very well !! Needs a good home! Guy's called Phil, if you need contact details. PM me.

Tempest

Wow, those Team Dynamics rims really compliment that Roco. That can't be the original paintwork can it??

Wow, those Team Dynamics rims really compliment that Roco. That can't be the original paintwork can it??

Full spec, as posted elsewhere by Phil:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lowered 30mm

15" fox alloys

270mm Discs

Powerflow Exhaust

pierburg with manual Choke

K&N Filter

eyebrow spoiler (not seen on photos below)

clear Indicators (not seen on photos below)

This also car also has Electric windows and Central locking, also has a Toad Ai606 cat 1 alarm/immob.

This car is in very good condition, however there are a couple of paint blemishes on the bonnet (the laquer has lifted in a couple of places) i would personally say it needs a repray, then im a fussy bugger!

And yes, that's the original paint still ! :-)

Tempest

That one of "Phil's" looks a good on to me, if it's an injection one might be worth the £900. Having had (at last count) 11 of the buggers, the best engine is by far the DX 1.8i and seeing as you're spoilt for choice at anything below £1000 I don't see much point in going any higher unless for something exceptional (anybody got a Scirocco Cabrio hidden away anywhere ;) )tell him to keep looking.

Here's a similar one at a trader in Nottingham... bit more "reasonable" price...

Or there's this Storm on ebay, all the badges are wrong, but looks as though it might tidy up pretty well...

Tempests looks a goodun , that 900 will be negotiable, as i saw many roccos cheap last year, eg a mint cond green with low miles for £600.

PARTS - note that VAG (VW) are also cheap. No matter where you go, you will find Light clusters expensive. Make sure the electric headup works ££.

afaik the filler neck is available but only from vw at about £190!

Autocavan used to do stainless replacements for £50. Not sure if they're still available since GSF bought them out though.

afaik the filler neck is available but only from vw at about £190!

Autocavan used to do stainless replacements for £50. Not sure if they're still available since GSF bought them out though.

£50 is cheap. We go ours done somewhere towards Stoke-on-Trent for nearer £90 from memory.

He's going back to see the Trader today.

If he won't negotiate on price then it's a no go.

Unfortunatley there are no other Sciroccos for sale locally and he isn't keen enough on one to travel to the mainland where there's loads.

He has however found this...

Good order , 15inch X spoke alloys , 1 year MOT , 11 months tax , loads of new parts fitted recently - cambelt , rear discs and pipes , headlamps , exhaust , good tyres.Stiffened suspension , new bushes. 140k miles.

Auto with sport mode , Sony minidisc , excellent driving car.

£950

Just to end the topic.

My mate went back to test drive the Scirocco today.

(couldn't drive it last night as its battery was dead)

Got 3 miles then it started boiling the water!

Nursed it back to the workshop. Diagnosis - cracked head or blown head gasket.

Offered the trader £300 to take it away as it was.

Trader nearly burst into tears! Said it stood him £700.

Wouldn't accept his offer.

I'd say it'll probably end up scrapped :cry:

He's going back to see the Trader today.

If he won't negotiate on price then it's a no go.

Unfortunatley there are no other Sciroccos for sale locally and he isn't keen enough on one to travel to the mainland where there's loads.

He has however found this...

Good order , 15inch X spoke alloys , 1 year MOT , 11 months tax , loads of new parts fitted recently - cambelt , rear discs and pipes , headlamps , exhaust , good tyres.Stiffened suspension , new bushes. 140k miles.

Auto with sport mode , Sony minidisc , excellent driving car.

£950

could have sworn that was a saab carlsson-look-a-like earlier on :D

:wink: Can't get anything passed you guys!

He's very fickle when it comes to cars :)

That one of "Phil's" looks a good on to me, if it's an injection one might be worth the £900.

No, it's not being a GT2, but Phil is running the Weber carb that graced Glen's Rocco GT back when he still had it. It is a very nice Rocco, but would need an enthusiast rather than someone who's more on the look-out for a general car like BMWs :lol:

Tempest

Hav'nt read the whole of this thread, so it may have been mentioned, but MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE FILLER PIPE!!!!!!!! I bought one and that had rotted, crapping up everything. Infact I scrapped it in the end dispite it being very tidy, it ruined the carb, tank, fuel pump.............and couldnt get another pipe for less than £150!!!!!!!!

Great car though i thought, 1.8 is very torque and it handled very nicely.

They are great value compared to mk2 gtis, but not so well rust proofed.

Recently got my mint 96 Classic green VR to replace my 'rocco so I'm trying to sell it...hard work though had a few time wasters so far but it's still on the drive.

All I can say is that it'll be emotional when it goes - each time I take it out - to keep the battery charged I just keep thinking 'why am I selling it?'! that's even after owning the c for nearly 2 months. Build quality is better than the c - less sqeaks and rattles and the doors are much more solid.

It's been the most reliable car I've had, parts seemed pretty cheap and never really let me down. Common faults; Clutch cable pulls through bulkhead - ECP do repair patch for 30 quid and was fairly easy to fit. Sqeaky exhaust downdraught coupling (not engine mounts as commonly thought). You just have to live with this!

1K sounds a lot for any rocco TBH. Mines in excellent condition (every one that's seen it says so) done 146K, loads of reciepts and struggling to sell for 500. 1989 1.8i scala too - the best one!

Sorry, sounds a bit like and advert that! Worth waiting for a good example though, I've looked at pics of other cars being avdertised for same money and there's a lot of rubbish out there.

You should post a for sale ad in the relevant section of the Forum.

Summer's coming (sometime :) ) and I'm sure there's quite a few Corrado owners would like a nice Summer runaround.

Get some pics up too ;)