Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Dull paint on the bonnet....

The paint has faded quite substantially on the middle and back of my bonnet. Polish doesn't do a great deal to be fair, can anyone advise what I could do, short of a respray? The paint is bordeaux pearl. Should I T-cut it? Not sure if you are supposed to T-cut metallics!

Rent out a electric buffer/polisher from Jewsons or similar and get some decent compound - don't push hard or you'll see the metal! just let the weight of the polisher do it all. Did it on my old 3 series after someone poured paint stripper or acid on it, nice people....

Looked like new after though! then stacked it into a crash barrier after receiving a Tiff Needle DVD and power sliding around some rounderbouts....

Yeah, cheers Neil - mine's the same (must be that VW dark metallic pink, eh mrbeige? ;)), so reckon I'll be giving that a go soon...

be careful mate , if you don't have any experience using a buffing macine you could make quite a mess of the bonnet , the bonnet is the second hardest panel to polish besides the roof, I would practice on the doors first to get used to the polisher. Good luck . Oh by the way what polish were you going to use, I suggest the Farecla G3 it is great and will buff up the paint quite fast. I would cover the windscreen and plastic scuttle panel with old newspaper to stop all the polish from going all over the plastic parts.

I was watching WHEELER DEALER the other day, and they did the same to an MG.... He used some sort of t cut mixture, applied it to the bonnet, and pulled out a buffing machine. The car looked brand new!!!

Any tips on doing this, as my roof/bonnet has found home to a cat.

If you know anyone that has a Porter Cable 7424, borrow that. Otherwise be VERY carfuly using a rotary buffer, as you can do far more dame with this in a very short time. You can burn through the paint and make swirl marks quicker than Tiff can do a doughnut!

I would suggest that you firstly try a Paint rubber, especailyy if the paint suface is bitty or rough to te feel, and then get hold of something like Klasse All-in-One from Alex at seriousperformance.co.uk, and try that.

T-Cut is nastly stuff with the metallic version not much better.

Remember it is just the laquer layer on top of the actual paint that has dulled over time. With the right products it will come back.

If you are in Halfords and it is one that does the Meguiars range, get the Stage-3 kit and give that a try. Much, much better than A/G.

Failing all that, talk to me about some Swissol bits....

John.