Sign in to follow this  
rossy t

steering feels wishy washy

i have a 93 2l16v that i picked up the other day.

it came with a full koni 40 mil kit with shocks & springs that were put on

the whole car feels really wishy washy when cornering, its not the tyres or PSI they are fine.

the car has now done 120K so obviously some suspension components are coming to the end of their life. what shall i replace to get the most from my new beast.

ill be buying them on the cheap from GSF or whoever but getting a friendly garage to fit.

kind regards.

get the camber and tracking checked first as they may not have been done properly by the previous owner.

and if i where you i would change all the bushes, top mounts, ball joints and track rod ends, mine is on 127k and they all needed doing its made a hell of a difference though

thanks coolrado, how much did that lot set you back and how many hours labour at a friendly garage, they wont dick me around. just for my info :)

I have exactly the same set up as you on a G60 of similar mileage. With mine, the steering becomes vague and the car pitches on high speed corners and seems to "bite" causing the car to swerve. I have already had the rear bushes done with genuine VAG items but the problem was diagnosed by John at JMR as the shocks. They seemed to have lost pressure despite being only a few years old. I also have some poly bushes on the front which have excessive play. I have just ordered (from GSF) new wishbones with bushes ready pressed in, balljoints and drop links and next week I'm ordering some coilovers. Once it's all been fitted I'm going to get it laser aligned and set up properly.

all the parts probably cost around 250 quid but i did all the work myself i have no idea what a garage would charge, but laser allighnment should only cost about 35 quid

mmm mine pitches a bit ive got avo's look like they could do with a rebuild tbh might be my prob too does yours pull to any side under power?

I had my Corrado for over a year before I had the tracking checked. It was an absolute mile out and adjustment transformed the vague feeling the steering always had.

im gonna bowl down the garage today and see whats what. no point in getting the tracking done if im going to put new parts on again now is there!

and a question for you too: in the past ive been given hassle from the tracking guys at garages becuase the car is "lowered" its down 40 mil is that going to cause any probs for the grease monkeys?

went down the garage and we had a good look at the suspension everything is tip top, no leaky shocks or worn bearings as far as we could see.

i can get the tracking done but the ride is so hard on the konis even adjusted to max softness its doing my head in.

im thinking about getting H&R springs on the koni shocks seems like a good compromise! Problem is the springs are about 170 delivered which seems awfully expensive for 4 springs, does anyone know anywhere cheaper???