Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

CAM BELT TENSIONER

I'm having nightmares with finding the right part to change the above on my 8v raddo...its a long story that i wont bore people with...but if anyone has ever done it can you pm me pleeeeease??? than :D ks chaps!

You can't get a tensioner? |Or you cannot remove the old one?

Buy from GSF/Euro. Remove whilst replacing belt. The tensioner won't clear the bottom belt cover other wise.

Gavin

ok...the original tensioner had an 8mm hole in the middle that had an 8mm stud through it holding it to the head.

vw have changed this and now only supply (aswell as gsf) a tensioner with a 10mm hole in the middle... therefore you must have a 10mm stud to fit it on...otherwise there would be ALOT of play obviously....so i had this discusion with my helpful :? local vw and they ordered me a 10mm stud.

when the stud arrived i could see that it was 10mm from 1 end to the other...this didnt make sense as the original hole in the head for the stud is 8mm wide not 10!....so i raised this problem with the parts "master tech" and he agreed ...searched on his pc and found that vw supply a 10mm to 8mm stud for the change over...great...so i ordered one....wondering why i hadnt been told i needed one in the first place!

so i went to pick up the stud this morning and its made me even more confused....the 8mm part of the thread is much longer than the 10mm part...as in theres hardly enough room to fit the tensioner on the 10mm part...its as if its for a change over from bigger to smaller!...its hard to try and expain this...look in the pic!

so im left in a position where i cant replace my tensioner baceause vw dont supply the right parts....thats why i was wondering if sum1 else had changed one since vw changed the size ....cos i cant see how i get around it...it would be good to know somewhere that supplies the old 8mm tensioner!

eh? cambelt tensioners are the same on just about all 8V VAG engines... go to either GSF or ECP and order one, they're peanuts to buy and they'll have loads of 'em in stock... 8)

Sounds like your VAG parts man's been on something stronger than is legal... ;) :roll:

been to gsf and vag and they both say the tensioner has changed..and gsf said i have to go to vag for the stud.....

anyway..ive just come back from vw where the "master tech" has been on the phone to tech enquiries and they assure me that i have the right kit to do the changeover...even though it looks like the tensioner is only being held on by a couple of threads....so here goes nothing!!

Are the part numbers for the parts you have been given as follows?

H 026 109 243L Thats the tensioner

N 014 593 1 Thats the conversion bolt which should be 58mm long

I think the stud on almost all 8v's is M10 as the nut size would indicate that as they use a 15mm head.

What size spanner do you use to take off your tensioner nut?? An M8 stud would surely use a 13mm nut!!!!

corradowales, I'll have a look for you tomorrow..

would be much appreciated!

Are the part numbers for the parts you have been given as follows?

H 026 109 243L Thats the tensioner

N 014 593 1 Thats the conversion bolt which should be 58mm long

havent got the tensioner one but thats the conversion bolt

I think the stud on almost all 8v's is M10 as the nut size would indicate that as they use a 15mm head.

What size spanner do you use to take off your tensioner nut?? An M8 stud would surely use a 13mm nut!!!!

ok...sorry...i was just guessin at sizes...i take it ur right....the part number for nut is:N 011 133 7

thanks for the replies gents...it's good that at least u know what im on about!!!...ive got a rattley tensioner when the cars cold..ive got all the parts..but it just doesnt look right...i would like further confirmation that i have a proper changeover kit before i stick it on....thanks again !...

That nut part number is for a 10mm stud according to etka so it looks like that you have all the right part numbers for the job but that bolt certainly isn't right as you cant screw the M8 part that far into the head as it's way too long, it should be the opposite way round imo

eh???? etka????i have...1 x N 011 133 7 -- hex nut

1 x N 012 231 4 --washer

1 x N 014 593 1 --stud

which is wrong?

thanks dude!

The head has a 10mm thread already cut into it & originally will have had a 10mm - 8mm reducer stud - you need a 10mm - 10mm stud which we keep in stock - GSF part number 13132 @ 50 pence + VAT.

The "conversion" stud that you've already been supplied with will be identical to the original one that you already have fitted into your cyl head.

i could kiss you........i really could..........AWSOME....cheers dude! :D :D :D :D :D

i thought i was going mad at first.......great to have a sensible answer to why im in this mess!..... MUCH appreciated!