Pickard1

G60 brake master cylinder - help required

I am having some trouble getting my G60 through the MOT.

It went in a week ago and the garage said they needed to replace the rear callipers as they were too weak. This was done and I was then told the brakes still weren’t right and I needed the master cylinder changing. (I don’t know how they can be sure the callipers are no good if the master cylinder was no good all along- have I just binned a perfectly good pair of 2yr old callipers???? – but that’s another story)

They are now having trouble sourcing the correct master cylinder from VW. They have (apparently) given them the part number on the old part and the chassis number but keep being sent the wrong part. My master cylinder (and ones I have seen for sale) have just 2 ports down the front of the cylinder. The ones the garage is being sent have 4 ports down the front. VW are insisting there is only 1 part.

I think the problem lies with the fact that the car has ABS. Am I right in saying that ABS was only fitted on some G60’s? and the ones that do have it share a braking system with the VR6?

Any help on this would be appreciated, has anyone else suffered a similar problem?

As you might have guessed im getting a little annoyed with the whole thing now, I didn’t have 2 weeks of public transport in mind when I went for the MOT!!!!

Have a look at the attached doc in the parts club thread in the suppliers setion...

That should have all the part numbers...

Hmm, that leaves me a little confused. My Garage have shown me my part and VW's interpretation of my part and they are certainly different!

I will have to find out if they have used the number that you suggest. Im starting to loose faith in them fast....!!!!

Thanks for the help, if anything else springs to mind please let me know!

Yep, thats the only one listed in ETKA too - 357611019B regardless of model or ABS.

Try again. :roll:

Price £143.20+VAT

Arse - sorry MYOFB, your right! the ABS stuff is seperate on ETKA...

What is strange tho is that my ABS G60 had a new MC at 60k miles and on the service reciept I have the part number starting 357... £67.42+vat

Pickard1, you'll be really confused now!!

I'll try and physically get the part number off the one on my car, it maybe that they ordered the non ABS one for you as its not clear on ETKA that there is a different part for ABS cars - now wondering if the one on mine is the correct part!

Ok, not sure if this will help... there is no part number on it that I can see but there is a VW/ATE sticker with a barcode with numbers above and below it...

Above - 10.6123-0600.3

Below - 003 20 0600 0000749

Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone.

I gave that screenshot to the MOT station today and they have got the part on order. Hopefully I will be back on the road by the end of the week. Im glad you guys knew your stuff cause I didnt seem to be getting anywhere fast speaking to my local garage and the VW main dealers!!

ordered mine from GSF, and when got it home, it had an extra hole, went to local motor factors, and the ones they stocked also had extra holes, so had to plug it with a bleed nipple!?!

Seemed a bit weird!

Get ya self some nipples lad!! ;)

I know this is a very old thread but I think this is important. The master cylinder for the Corrado in right hand drive with ABS (and some others cars such as Golf 3 GTi/16v/VR6 pre 95) is now obsolete from VW and ATE have also dropped it, VW part number 358 611 019 D and ATE part number 10.6123-0600.3. I desperately need a new one (I have a good used one) for a project and I have drawn a blank after searching using every possible means I can think of. I found one company who listed it, ABS in the Netherlands, but according to their cross reference and picture it is wrong but they will not rely to my multiple emails. There are thousands of VW's and Seats in right hand drive countries that need this master cylinder and I think it is wrong that you cannot buy one, the last car to use it only went out of production 1996!

You are correct in saying the ABS master cyl is obsolete and does not appear to be available anywhere.

The ATE ABS master cyl with vw part no 358 611 019D has a bore of 23.8mm (reflected by the 6123 in 10.6123-0600.3). About 6 months ago I spent ages searching the internet/this forum and others for info in the belief that a new master cyl must be available. I even contacted ATE. All to no avail.

I concluded that the only option was to find a good used cylinder. The 0600.3 part appears to reflect manufacturing date/ irrelevant mods to the part so can vary.

My original cyl, for instance, is 10.6123-0680.3.

My spare is a slightly later manufactured cyl from a MK3 Golf and is 10.6123.0690.3

There are threads on this and other forums showing complete replacement of the braking system with that from later VWs to get around this problem.

Hi

I am looking for an master brake cylinder ATE number 10.6123.0690.3 for my Mk3 Golf Cabriolet

And see you describe having one of these parts that you have as a "spare"

I don't suppose you would be interested in selling it if its not needed

I'm having a real struggle getting hold of the part

In hope

Paul