Sign in to follow this  
Mike Edwards

Authorising an ECU

Will anyone be taking VAG-COM with them to the AGM?

My car has the (in)famous VW transponder ignition key immobiliser system. The car starts and runs fine with the original ECU. Plugging in another ECU I have allows me to start the car, but it cuts out a couple of seconds later.

I'm assuming that this is a result of the ecu needing to be authorised with the transponder/sensor set-up in the car, so if anyone knows how to do this can I borrow you for a few minutes this coming weekend?

In the event that anyone can come up with an alternative suggestion as to what's causing this - and suggest a way to sort it, please chip in.

Mike from memory even with VAG-COM you need an authorisation key to log into the adoptive values of the ECU.

I'd double check with Chris Gaskell first, but I'll bring my laptop with me just in case.

Guy

You need a fully registered VAG-COM to edit these settings, too (freeware one won't let you change anything). No idea about how to re-code the ECU for a key, or vice versa though.

I have fully registered versions of VAG-COM, but to change coded ECU values you have to have a specific login key for the chip.

Amrik had to have this done to convert his ECU from automatic to manual.

There may be a way round it, or a method of disabling the check for the immobiliser, check on the VAG-COM forums.

Corrado - Matching the ECU to Immobiliser

Immobiliser Part No.: 1HO 953 257 series

Authorised ignition key (existing key) required. Diagnostics using VAG-COM.

Connect the VAG-COM PC to the Corrado diagnostics connector.

Switch the ignition ON.

Select “Select”

Select “Immobiliser” 25 *

Select “Adaptation” 10

Enter “00” for channel 0

Press “Read”

Press “Save”

Press the following: “Done, Go Back”

“Close Controller”

“Go Back” ( *as many times as required to reach top programme start display)

“Exit”

Switch the ignition OFF.

* - depends on which version of VAG-COM to reach this selection point.

Note:

1. The identity of the engine control unit (ECU) is read into the immobiliser control unit when next switching the ignition on (using the original programmed car ignition key obviously!). The engine should start and run normally from this point on, ie the immobilser had “learned” the ECU fitted.

2. Reversing the ECU to the original requires the same procedure to be performed.

3. Coding a key to the ECU immobiliser or adding an extra key requires a 7 digit dealer generated SKC sequence unless the original 4 digit SKC is known. Without this SKC, it is impossible to match ignition keys using any VW diagnostics.