Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

Ticking When On Power

Had this problem with the VR for a while now but haven't managed to identify the cause. When accelerating you can hear a quick repetitive tick..tick..tick sound coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. Its very faint but still audible, really only noticeable around the 1200 - 2000rpm, after that engine noise drowns it out. Its a constant sound doesn't seem to vary much with speed, as soon as you let off the power it goes away instantly. Ive tried revving the engine in neutral when still, also tried to doing this while coasting, neither cause this ticking so im guessing its possibly not the engine. Over the last few days it seems to be getting slightly louder. Any suggestions ?

Unlikely to be pinking at 1200rpm. Sounds more like something drivetrain if it only happens when the engine is under load and actually driving. Perhaps a CV joint or wheel bearing?

Is it not just the timing chains making a bit of noise?

Sounds like it's only happening when under load.

Timing chains don't care whether the engine's under load or not - they aren't, either way, so I doubt it's those.

Might be something engine mount related - perhaps the aux belt is catching as the engine moves under load? Who knows, it's a bit of a vague description..

dr_mat, ive been thinking along those line of CV / Bearings. If it was those would they not exhibit problems all the time.

VR6, Hope its not the chains not long since had those replaced, im pretty sure that the noise is coming from the drivers side, I had this problem after i bought the car, i then had the timing gear changed around christmas

Other parts ive recently had changed are the front engine mount, and aux belt & tensioner. Other random thought id had was possibly one of the pumps, but again would that not be constant noise rather than power dependant. Wish i knew more about mechanics to diagnose these things.

Don't worry - no need to listen to me ... I'm more of an armchair mechanic :D

I just mentioned it as it hadn't been mentioned as a possibility before my post.

Same here, trying to get into mechanics just not picked the easiest thing to fix. I appreciate your input hope i didnt seem rude.

Tekara, CVs and bearings tend to be worse when you're putting them under sideways loads. Certainly if it's either of these, the rate of ticking will go up proportionally to road speed, not engine speed. If it's a CV joint, it'll likely be worse while on steering lock than when straight ahead, if it's a wheel bearing I'm surprised that the engine load has anything to do with it. I suppose anything's possible though..

I'd say it's pinking.

Is it any worse when the engine is hot? are you getting hot running problems too?

Thanks for the info, sounding like its possibly not the CV or Bearings. I'll have spend a bit more time looking into this. Just hope its an easy fix

PhatVR6 Will have to take the car for a spin to confirm, but im pretty sure its the same from cold. Other than this(touch wood) car has been behaving well, pulls hard, sounds good. Dont mean to sound like an idiot but what you do mean by "hot running problems"?

i.e. does it run hot, and not at a nice 80-90 like it should.

My old 2.9 used to do this. the head gasket was on it's way out, and it had countless cooling probs, always ran hot, kept getting air locks and spitting the water out. it used to pink it's knackers off if I tried to put my foot down when it was under load (i.e. at low revs, or more specifically, in a high gear, but at low revs).

A none aggressive drive for around 30mins will return 90-95 water and 102 oil. Little more spirited and creeps upto roughly 100 fan might kick in for a second and upto 108 oil. Temperatures have deffo crept up since Christmas was dead on 90 then, but there again that was winter. It might be leaking water now you mention it, every now and again i need to put a tiny amount back into bring it upto the middle join on the tank.

Think you might be onto something, did you every fix yours ?

Ok with a clearer less frustrated mind set ive taken the C out for a gentle spin to better identify things. Apologies now for unnecessary info.

Within a few yards of the driveway upto 2000rpm noise became reasonably audible, its not loud sound its just there. Seems to be particularly noticeable at low revs 1000 - 1500rpm, the higher the gear the more noticeable it was. After roughly 5 mins oil temp started to register along with the water. Once that happened the ticking became slightly less noticeable, again more predominant in higher gears. After about 15 mins water had reach 90 and oil about 98. Further 5 mins or so temps settled at there usual 97 water 100-102 oil. Ticking became quite faint then, gave up and came back.

The ticking is dependant on throttle position while in one gear, quite faint with minimal acceleration upto distinct at half - full, keeps a constant speed though.

Other oddity might not be related is at around 1800 - 2000rpm the car becomes rather hesitant, very quick on off power sensation not jerky, until you get past 2100rpm ish.

Check it's not just your carbon canister valve. On the front of the drivers side suspension turret, you'll see a light blue plastic object. Put your hand on it and with the other hand raise the RPM. If you can hear the clicks and feel the pulses at the same time....