Sign in to follow this  
surfer.vr6

radiator vr6

It is if the front bumper comes off in order to partially pull the slam panel forward, otherwise it's not pleasant due to the monster fan assembly. I think it's doable though.....but I did it with the bumper off whilst doing my oil cooler.

Factory procedure is to remove the bumper and ease the slam panel forward, as stated here, but I understand it's possible to shuffle the rad up and out if you remove the fans first without doing any of this.. Not done it mind..

Tried it on mine when I did the clutch & chains. Couldn't even get the fans out so eventually took the whole front off. So reckon the factory procedure is spot on (for a change)

Yep, off with the bumper as I also looked and space is too tight. You can't even get the fans off the rad in situ either.

Front bumper is easy to remove, undo the outer 17mm bolts at each end of the cross member, leaving the middle ones put, otherwise the engine will fall on the floor. Then the bumper can be pull forward and off. Get an assistant to help as the bumper is heavy and obviously too bulky to remove on your own without gouging the leading edges into the wings....yes, I've been there!

Then you undo all the 10mm bolts you can get to on the slam panel, which will then allow you to pull it forward to give you the required clearance to heave the rad out.

Don't forget to diss the fog/ind wiring connectors; behind the headlights so those have to come out as well.

Kev, I found the bumper real easy on my own, but admit I was cautious as didn't know what to expect till I did it

Just finished doing it and thought give an account of my day.

I found i could remove the rad and fans without removing the slam panel

or the bumper .just remove the 4 bolts holding the fans to the rad and then remove the 2 top rad L shaped brackets holding the rad to the slam panel.Move the rad forward under the bonnet release cable and then remove fan.Take all the stuff off the rad (pipes etc) and then witdraw it

sideways.fitting is reverse .Just be carful with the new rad as the fins are very sharp .

to get the thing out quite a few hours cos didnt have the know how .Putting it back in about 1 hour .dead easy.

I didnt realize that the rad was only bolted to the slam panel at the top by the removable L shaped brackets that slide in to the rad .It sits on pegs that slip in to 2 holes on a strut .As i sy just be careful as the fins on the rad are very sharp and i still have wounds to prove it