Sign in to follow this  
moneypit

Gearbox

I wonder if anybody can help. I have a 93 corrado vr6 with a manual gearbox, and i want to change gearbox oil. but i cant find information for this !

Has anybody done this job please help :oops:

Redline MT90, 2 Quarts... should do it if the gearbox is not coming off (as you won't get the full 2 litres out)

DemonTweeks see to be cheapest supplier.

There is a guide for changing it in the Knowledge base I think.

VR6 Gearbox oil is higher temprature oil specification. Known as G51 75w90 at VW dealers (Part No. G005100A1). Plenty in stock at VAG Spares when I checked 2 weeks ago. 2.0 ltrs required, of which all but the last 0.2 lires will go into the box. Cost, about £35 and comes in 0.5ltr packs = 4 required. 17mm allen key required but can use a tight fitting bolt head with double locked nuts inorder to use a plain wrench/spanner.

Car on level ground, undo the threaded plug on the underside of the gearbox and drop out the oil while it's still warm. When finshed draining, refit the plug. Now undo the threaded plug on the front vertical face of the gearbox and put into the gearoil until the oil is level with the lower lip of the filling hole. Allow to settle for 30 minutes so that all the air bubles can surface. Check level still at the lower filling hole lip. Do not force the remaining oil into the gearbox (0.2 ltrs) as this will cause pressure problems with the seals. When finsihed, refit the threaded plug. Torques for both threaded plugs is 25 Nm or 18 ft lb.

The gear oil is fitted for life of the Corrado, Upto 1992 it was EP80 hypoid oil, after this, the original oil was synthetic G51. The recommended replacement oil including those fitted with EP80 hypoid is the G51. Whilst "for life" is VW's view with the gear oil, I suggest that it is changed every 100,000 miles.

"Redline MT90 is 75w90."

Not quite the right oil though. Good general fit so to speak but G51 is a higher temperature spec'd gearoil than normal particulalry as the VR6 will work the gearbox hard. VW have just specified it for the lesser powered engines for commonality. MT90 oil will be generally OK with the "as built" powered 8v, 16v & possibly the G60.

MT90 is the equivalent of VW's G50 gear oil which used as the alternative to EP80 in the 020 rod change gearboxes on the Mk1/2 Golf/Scirocco. G50 is a fully synthetic 75w90 gearoil as well.

Redline have no equivelent to G52 as far as I can determine.

_lean_

G60 same quantity as above, just under 2.0 ltrs. All Corrado gearboxes take the same amount of oil.

undo the threaded plug on the underside of the gearbox and drop out the oil while it's still warm. When finshed draining, refit the plug. Now undo the threaded plug on the front vertical face of the gearbox

It has been said before, but merits repetition; make sure you can undo the filler plug before you undo the drain plug and let all the oil out.

Best wishes

RB