Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Smoothing bumpers, and relocating front number plate

I want to have a go at this myself, so how do I go about smothing the line that runs along the top edge of the bumpers? Just filler and a lot of sanding?

If I want to relocate the front reg plate, to smooth out the recess, do I use fibre glass then filler, or just filler?

Not done anything like this, and thought I should give it a whirl, as both

bumpers need spraying anyway (scuffs and stone chips!)

Any advice is much appreciated.... :)

Personally, and not that I know very much at all about custom bodywork, I'd avoid using filler where possible. Surely any little knock to the bumper would cause it to crack?

Plastic welding?

plastic welding is what you should be doing... use as little filler as poss

Is plastic welding the sort of thing you can do yourself? And if so, what do I need to do it? Obviously a plastic welder but where do I get one and how much are they? Anything else I'd need?

The line along the top of the bumper, can that just be sanded out?

yep, use a large soldering iron, cut some plastic out from another old bumper so its the same material. Use the soldering iron to get the piece of plastic you want to weld into place and do the best you can then cut up some strips of plastic and feed them into the joins with the soldering iron, then sand down and jobs a good'un! Its not too hard mate, I did my rear bumper towing eye, see my gallery for out come! Good luck..

not sure about the line at the top of the bumper, prob have to fill it a bit..?

ive smoothed out my fogs, left my numberplate where it is, i think it looks awesome!

just need to get it sprayed now!!

ive smoothed out my fogs, left my numberplate where it is, i think it looks awesome!

just need to get it sprayed now!!

Any pics??

I did think about that, as well as smoothing all of it and putting and indicator in the headlight, but wasn't sure of the MOT implications?

I think the bumper needs to have at least the indicators in it other wise it ends up looking a bit "special"! losing the fogs and smooting the plate recess looks good though - the green feature C that was up for sale recently looked great like that 8)

I quite liked the look of the flushed bumper when i first saw it in pvw (capnahabs car), but it reminds me of the smooth tailgate mod on the mk2 where it lost its appeal later on.