Sign in to follow this  
philO

Air Filter

when i bought my 1.8 16v it had on it a Jetex Response reusable air filter. does anyone know if this provides as good a performance as anyother performance filters on the market, eg K&N or pipercross? if not then which would be the best to purchase for increasing bhp?

cheers

Hi there, if you havent already done so, you can drill the airbox to imporve cold air flow?? Coz its a k-jet engine there is not many aftermarket air filters avalible, i would save your money and do another mod.

Cheers Muks

Yep.. panel filters are pretty much a standard swap for the crappy VW ones, but there isn't really any performance gain to be had by swapping between them.. they are all about the same from what I understand.

And yes, drilling the airbox is a good way to get slightly better throttle response and a nice loud induction roar every time you stick your toe down :)

Yep.. panel filters are pretty much a standard swap for the crappy VW ones, but there isn't really any performance gain to be had by swapping between them.. they are all about the same from what I understand.

VW ones aren't so poo actually, my VR runs better with a paper filter than it does with a K&N!

And yes, drilling the airbox is a good way to get slightly better throttle response and a nice loud induction roar every time you stick your toe down :)

Sorry to disagree but that is the worst thing you can do to a 16V. It just sucks in hot air and alernator dust off the engine. VW spend ages optimising the airboxes for quiet running and performance, so drilling holes in it just undoes all that good work.

Just my thoughts.....and experience!

Kev

Well, I appreciate that you might have the experience.. I am not speaking from my own experience, but rather from the rather large amount of people on the CCGB mailing list who have done the same thing and reported positive results.

Drill the air box (the noise is the benefit here and it can drag extra air in even more so in the winter) the extra heat is minimal and wont effect the performance that you we feel, What youve got to remember is that we're talking about a filter on car with less than 350BHP, So what you feel either in more performance from the mod filter or the loss from the heat will be minimal. Stroeve do a filter that replaces the whole airbox section but nit does cost £120.

Best tip is to buy a K&N remove the bottom section of your air box, cut off the part where the filter sit and attaches to the top section, put the filter in the part youve cut out and reattach it to the top section. Secure the box with cables ties. know feed cold air in from behind the grile next to the rad. because the bottom of the box is missing the K&N will handle the dirt or damp thrown at it. (just clean it when requried) :D

Sounds a bit extreme sc16v, I just cut out the wingside front corner of both of mine (16v and vr6) and that does the job nicely. Dont think it would get much louder.

Put a K & N in and drilled the wingside and front of the box and also removed the snorkel. Sounded good and definately improved throttle response :twisted: Worth doing- takes an hour or two.

Sounds a bit extreme sc16v, I just cut out the wingside front corner of both of mine (16v and vr6) and that does the job nicely. Dont think it would get much louder.

joe you already had a modded airbox in your vr6 btw....paul had it done just a couple of months before you bought it.........

Yeah, I noticed. I wanted it to sound even meatier though and the insurance co wanted £65 for an induction kit :o so I decided to mod it a bit more. :twisted: