Sign in to follow this  
Dubbabe80

1.8 16v not running right...at all HELP!

Please help :( !

I've got a J reg 1.8 16v which isn't running right at all.

Its juddering, the rev counter's bouncing around all over the place, its backfiring & popping. The thing is...it will run ok but then every so often it just starts doing all this and cuts out. This is when it won't start.

so far the ignition module, coil and more recently the distributor have been replaced and its still happening!

Any ideas??

leads and plugs first i spose??? .....you say it happens every so often...is that when its damp ?????

Yeah, the leads and plugs have been done and its not done it when its damp. I've drove to work Monday (8miles) and it was fine then nippe dout at dinner..still ok. then drove home and its started to do it, i've stopped off at the local vw garage but by the time I got there it was ok again so obviously they couldn't do anything. Then on the way home from there its started juddering and popping and this is when its cut out and can't start. So its doing it when its warmed up and its also done it before when I've gone for a run in it!

i've just had the exact same problem on my vr6

it has been cured by securing the plug on the blue coolant sensor.

(it was hanging off)