Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Vacuum leak from something

Ive noticed that my idle seems to be getting gradually more lumpy as the weeks go on. Yesterday I removed my carbon canister and could hear what sounds like a vacuum leak from the alien looking plastic thing to the right of the throttle body, above the exaust manifold. (Will take pics tommorow.)

Anybody know what this thing is and if its common to get a vacuum leak there?

what have you used to blank of pipes now not being used by the cc yeah pics would sort it very quickly for ya ...

Hi I intend to blank off the pipes this evening - what would you suggest I use?

TIA

Heres a pic of the pipe I capped off, just a bolt with a 6mm alln key head was used. The clear pipe is a fuel tank vent so was left venting into the wing

And heres a pic of what I think the leak is coming from, it seems to be on the underneath edge of the thing ive circled as when i press my hand under it the noise changes a bit.

That's the idle valve's purge tank. Try spraying some carb cleaner around it when the engine is running. Any change in engine note denotes a leak.

Kev

Mate, if you feel under neath that plastic part you circled there is a small hole which you here a loud air leaking noise from. My car is a 92 93 vr and that is normall.

I had this checked my self. If your idle is lumpy then I would check all plugs and leeds as that cured my lumpy idle problems and I havent cleaned the ISV yet so it may be even smoother. :lol:

Not sure if it is normal as im sure the noise wasnt there before. Will maybe take it apart tomorow for a look if I get the chance.

Any other vr owners noticed this?

Strangly, i found the exact same thing today when replacing my accelerator cable funny sort of noise from that wee black box, but did not get time to investigate it, but i am thinking it has something to do with the poor idle.

I asked about it when I was at bedrock vw's. The guy said it was normal and all vr's do it.

He also mentioned that they have a habit of randomly exploding when too much fuel vapour builds up inside them. :shock:

Did anyone find out any more about this, mine is hissing and I am definiteley smelling fuel vapours every time I start from cold! Related? :?

Same here. I've only just noticed my VR getting a bit pongy from that area too :?

Kev

My damper has blown twice. Seems to backfire but hasn't done it for a while. Check all vacuum connections are tight. I've actually removed my carbon canister completely and capped of the vacuum line to the inlet manifold and vented the fuel line to air. Runs ok and passes mot.

I've actually removed my carbon canister completely and capped of the vacuum line to the inlet manifold and vented the fuel line to air. Runs ok and passes mot.

Where did u vent it to? I had mine in the wing and the fuel vapours were awful so I put the carbon canister back in. :?

I 've put mine into the hole in the chassis rail below where the air box used to be. A bit smelly when I start up but afterwards I can't smell anything. Maybe extend it through the carbon canister hole and zip tie it low down to the front subframe.