Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

Occasional Blue Smoke on acceleration & Oil on Bonnet fo

Hi guys - been out a wee drive there and noticed some pretty big puffs of blue smoke but only occasionally when acceleratin and not always at high revs. Checked it when I got home - just revving high in neutral but no smoke and sounded fine. Popped the bonnet to find the soundproofing coated with quite a bit of oil - any ideas?

Cheers much

G

Hmmm, blue smoke out of the back isn't good. What mileage is it on and how much oil is it getting through, say per 1000 miles?

Oil on the sound absorbent foam would suggest a leak, but not sure where from. Is there any oil on the engine anywhere? The seal on the oil cap can wear out with age, might be worth sticking a new cap on, they're only about a fiver from VW.

It's done 109K but still seems to be running fine. No blue smoke today. Oil only seems on foam not on head cover and is not that much. Not gonna freak out yet but will keep any eye on it.

i'm having this problem with my vr6 as well, (about the same mileage) doesn't do it all the time so hard to diagnose!! it is going in to get chains done and have valves re seated etc soon tho so fingers crossed that will cure it!!