Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Corrado vs Honda S2000..

I've got a VR6 Golf and I hate it! The floorpan(think?) and engine is the same as the Corrado.

There's nothing like knowing your own car....and that's nothing like it.

Fairly rounded opinion, except for the usual sweeping generalisations you get. The fact that the corrado is being compared in the first place shows the respect it still has 10 years on

Yeah.. a car thats been relegated to the (in some cases) sub £2000-£3000 bracket being compared to (and in some cases praised more than) a modern and highly respected sports car worth at least 4x that amount.. you gotta admire the Corrado!

I do admire the Corrado.....every time I walk away from it I can't resist looking back. Imagine what I'd be like if it was a nice example! However, I am considering an S2000 for next year.

well im 6'4" and it felt like i was wedged inside a coffin

also they understeer loads!!! but i cant really talk now i have an audi ...the mother of all understeering cars!!! lol

i would consider an S2k but there too bloody small inside!!!

I've driven one and yes they are very tight for space.

And i've still got a set of original VR6 alloys sat in my garage.

I wonder if anyone on here owns my old car.

I do admire the Corrado.....every time I walk away from it I can't resist looking back.

Yeah that's the thing. I wouldn't do that if I onwed an S2000. I've seen loads and driven one (over the weekend) but never double take.

The Corrado just has something about it that a lot of modern cars lack....charisma.

Wasn't impressed with the S really. Well the car itself was fine. Well built, stylish and handled OK....but the engine.....what a pain in the arse it is. Barely any useable torque below 6000rpm....it's a pain to drive in traffic. You look and feel like you're revving the balls off it to move away from the lights. The throttle response though, is razor sharp, so the lack or urge is all the more dissapointing....even with the low gearing.

On the open road it's better....but there's points in the rev range, for example like 4000rpm in 4th gear in the VR6 it would take off like a scalded cat, but in the S, nothing happens. I dunno if this particular car was a lemon (from a dealer) but it didn't feel like a 240bhp sports car, more like a 180bhp.....it did shift when you get up to the stratospheric revs....but below....rice pudding and skin springs to mind.

I'm too old an intolerant of peaky engines now, I just want torque!

I'm too old an intolerant of peaky engines now, I just want torque!

Clearly the MG V8 thing has your name written all over it then Mr H.. old mans car, and a lazy torquey V8.. and a bargain at around £14,000 :)

Good call Jim.... the perfect machine for my straw hat and tartan picnic blanket collections.

It would have to be an olive or Champagne Gold coloured one too :D

Reg was L765 RNV, and was in Ice Grey Violet.

And I do double take when I walk away from my S.

If you know how to drive it, and love revs then it a quick car.

Its ok comparing torque at 4K, but in the VR6 its gear change time a lot earlier than in the S2000.

true, as a piece of engineering that engine in the s2k is amazing, no other manufacturer has topped 240bhp out of 2.0 na, atleast not in large numbers anyway like the s2k has been sold, and it is a lighter unit than used in the CTR, which it seems will adopt this unit in it's next incarnation, although probably a 2.2 version to make it a bit more torquey and driveable. Would I buy an s2k? pah! course not, for that kind of money a remapped 330d will seriously embarass the sewing machine! lol

well true, but a remapped s2k is going to flatten a 330d yes?

and also note you have to be a complete pr!ck to drive a bmw, after working for them for a year i can testify to that. (though the d models are awesome)

If you know how to drive it, and love revs then it a quick car.

Its ok comparing torque at 4K, but in the VR6 its gear change time a lot earlier than in the S2000.

Hmmm, on paper they are comparable, but having driven both, the VR 'feels' quicker overall. The S needs a lot of revs and space, something that is tedious on todays busy roads.

Yeah gearchanges are later in the S2000 but the usable power band is a lot narrower.

Horses for courses....

Reg was L765 RNV, and was in Ice Grey Violet.

Apparently it's still registered, with the last owner change on September 29th, 2002. Come on...any takers?

I like the s2000, I think stepping from one car into another where the power characteristics are different can sometimes give the illusion that the car is not that quick. For example, I get in my mams VR after driving my 130 tdi bora and the corrado feels sluggish and gutless, and we all know a the vr would destroy the bora. I think you have to have the car for a canny while before you can really adapt your driving style to it.

I'd have one, but I'd rather have BCs R1 :D

A remapped s2k will not benefit that much from a remap, you are probably looking at around 12bhp, it is n/a and already highly tuned remember. A 330d on the other hand will see 260bhp from a remap and 400+pounds of torque-no way the little s2k will keep up with that. But yes, can't agree more with most bmw drivers being protentious w***ers who think they are above other people just becuase they have a bmw! lol.