Sign in to follow this  
randal

Polishing engine components

I've seen a lot of cars with polished inlet manifolds, alternators, rocker covers etc.. and they look pretty sweet.

Now, how exactly do people get that finish? Is it a case of uber-elbow grease sanding, polishing with power drill and bit, buffing etc...?

I've never known for sure, wanted to check as I'd like to do the same to mine when I take the head off for work. Is there a specfic procedure, or recommendations?

Ta in advance

randal

I did mine on my golf G60, it came up ok but not quite a show standard. I used as wire wool to start with, which took a long time. You can buy attachments to go into a drill. I then used an electical contact cleaning block then finally a shed load of polish and more hard work.

Sorry if thats not much help as its pretyy much what you said anyway...

Tom

get yourself a cheap bench mounted buffer and some buffing wax bars it will make the job so much easier and you should be able to get a mirror finish

hmm, that's not a bad idea. You mean the ones that have a buffing/polishing bad on either side, normally with a guard?

yep usually a coarse and fine pad

i just bought a conversion kit for my bench grinder from machine mart which comes with a coarse and fine 8" pad and coarse and fine polishing wax

uh oh, methinks a purchase is gonna happen... ...or at the very least a hire!

how much did that lot set you back roughly?

just gotta be carefull when buffing as things do tend to start flying across the garage if they snag on the buffing wheel and definately wear goggles as the wax hurts when you get it in your eyes

Think I'm going to go for the drill option, so goggles and a clear work area are going to be a must!

Wax in the eyes - ouch. Sounds like the voice of experience there dude, mucho suckage! :(

yep i didnt notice it at first, the wax comes off the wheel in a fine mist when it heats up and starts to sting after a while if it gets in your eyes

I did my manifold with just elbow grease.....should have bought a bench grinder....and a bench......and a shed.....and a garden.... :roll: :lol:

So what do you use for all the hard to reach bits ???

Polishing spindle mounted in a drill or similar with small buffing wheels.

randal_24, are you doing the manifold etc in situ or removed from the block? Will you also do the alternator etc (i guess you could get a fair finish on that by removing the airbox and using the drill?

Have you thought of powder coating? i reckon it looks smarter than polished parts... prob cheaper too.