Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

n/side front brake smoking

The other day I got home after the work run and noticed there was a small cloud of smoke coming from the n/s front wheel every now and again. it didn't seem to be coming from any where on the engine, and the brake caliper & road wheel on that side were blisteringly hot, wheras on the otherside it was barely warm at all. This happened again this morning after braking from 80mph into a tailback on the motorway, smoke & a nasty burning smell, just from the n/s wheel.

I replaced the brake discs with genuine ones about 12 months ago myself along with Pagid Fast Road Pads (I only drive about 10k a year) the calipers looked ok at the time, apart from some play in the slider pins.

I also noticed a couple of weeks back that I was getting bad brake fade which Isnt supposed to happen with these Fast Road Pads...?

Does anybody have any ideas, am I looking at a seized caliper, faulty pads, warped disc or something else?

Cheers.

Sounds to me like you need to strip that caliper and carrier down and grease up the sliders on the carrier... ;)

Don't forget to bleed the caliper after you've free'd it up as you'll have boiled the brake fluid and will have air bubbles in it which will be what's making the brakes feel a little spongey and causing the brake fade.

Thanks Guys, yep looks like I need to strip and rebuild. I think some of the slider rubber boots were perishing, and I have a habit of washing the car then leaving it standing for two days, maybe water is getting in the sliders.

Sounds like VW do repair kits for the sliders, do they do them for the calipers aswell?

Why do all garages claim there's nothing they can do but replace calipers in these circumstances then?? Makes me sooo mad!!

I think it's just cheaper Mat, same with any X-change items, obviously they car be repaired or they wouldn't want the old bits back but it may be uneconomical for the garage to do it and cheaper in terms of labour for you just to get a new caliper...

off to VW it is then...

I reckon in alot of instances its laziness on the part of the garage, they'd rather fit new parts than mess around repairing existing parts even if its quicker/cheaper to do so.

And also take opportunity make more money by charging retail/dealer prices on the parts!

See if you can get the other three corners to have a word with him about his habit - it's really not good for you!

Does anyone know the VAG part number for the repair kit? I went to my nearest VW in Oldham and they told me they didn't sell one (probably too lazy to look on the screen)

I tried brakes International but they have no stock and say it only includes the rubber seals and gaiters, no slider pins - what exactly do you get in the VW kit?

cheers

the slider pins will just need a good clean up and grease... the caliper kit won't include them as they're not part of the caliper, they're part of the carrier...

The kit from Brakes international sounds exactly like what I'd expect to find in the VW kit...

Had more luck with VW at old Trafford, got 2 repair kits ordered (one for slider bellows, other for caliper rebuild) came to £36 for both wheels, cheaper than new calipers I guess!

Took the Caliper off last night, one slider bellow was ripped but there was still grease in there and they both seemed to slide in the carrier bore easily.

I then pulled back the caliper piston dust seal - lots of corrosion under there so i'll be doing a full rebuild & paint - just hope I don't need new pistons!

Did a search on here but can't find anything about rebuilding calipers.

Checked my haynes mk2 & lynsday porter manual, the haynes has the method but the tricky bit seems to be getting the piston out - it suggests using an air foot pump but then i've got to make some sort of adaptor to fit the brake pipe inlet!

Has anybody any tips!

p.s. Are G60 ABS brakes bled in the same way as non-ABS mk2 gti rakes, or do you/should you bleed the ABS unit?

Cheers

Does that way round work?

I tried the footpump connected to the inlet union and it just wouldnt move the piston, even at 70 psi! must be well seized in!

IMO - trying to repair a 13 year old brake caliper is a complete waste of time. Parts of the caliper which aren't in the repair kit or available seperately are likely to also be worn. You may be able to make it work for a short period of time but if you're keeping the car - fit a new caliper.

Repair kits are great for 5 or 6 year old calipers but not so good for 13 year old ones.

Oh right, I didn't think there was much more to the caliper internally than the piston & seals?

Starting to think it would of been a better idea to get a new one though as a new piston & seals is nearly £20!

Bit the bullet in the end and bought a new caliper, ECP had no stock in the country though and my local GSF didnt even list it anymore.

Got one in the end from Brakes International, a Budweg remanufactured one for about £48 all in.