Sign in to follow this  
Furkz

Stone Chip On Windscreen

hiya guys,, i got hit today probly by a stone and its cracked my windscreen, its on the pass side jus above the tax disc area so its out the way..... but from the outside its jus a lil crack but has expanded in the glass, but doesnt go thru to the inside of the glass,, i want this repaired asap before monday would be ideal...whats the cheapest and most effective way without changing the whole windscreen which seems a bit much tbh.

Also shall i go thru my insurance, has i noticed a tent outside the local homebase who do this sort of reapirs on the spot but require your insurance details. But the work is quite effective.

Thanks in advance

What size is it?? - if its less than a 2p coin then it should be repairable...

Depends on your insurance but most do free repairs (no excess)

i jus started out with Brentacre (they seems really good and clued up) and overall its smaller than a 1p coin i think, well looks like it

I got a 3" crack starting at my rear view mirror after some motorway driving. Anyone managed to get hold of a cheap screen/fitted well?

Best quotes I've heard of is 400/500quid!!!

FurkiG60, That should be ok then but I'd get onto it before the w/e incase it grows...

G60Dub, you should be able to get a screen fitted for less than £300 but make sure its a laminated Securit screen - not a cheap copy as it is bonded and therefore structural.

IIRC you can buy 'window repair kits', you could try Halfords

G60Dub, Also make sure you get a tinted window

i had a new windscreen recently, had to pay £50 for excess and thats it....i would recomend windscreen cover to anyone who owns a 'c' because the screens are particulary expensive to buy (( due to the plastic mouldings on the outside im told???)) and they also take longer than your average car to fit in (( and at £70 an hour for autoglaze it adds up! ))

I got a stone chip on my windscreen less than 10mm in diameter and was just finding out about repairing it (free on insurance). Washed the car and next day pulled out of the garage to find a 12 inch crack instead. Floppy disks..!

So new windsceen it was, £60. Not too bad I suppose, but acting a bit quicker could have saved the hassle.

The guy at AutoGlass said that they're a right git to fit. Did a good job though.

Yeah, screens are £240+vat from VAG but glass firms will get the same SEKURIT glass cheaper (just without the VAG logo) and it comes with the plastic mouldings attached.

Fitting should only take an hour labour time altho best not to move the car for 3-4 hours afterwards...

The seal round the top is re-usable but best to ask the insurance for a new one also if yours is 10+ years old... (these are about £30 from the dealers if you need to pay for it)

Just renewed my insurance and found a slip advertising free windscreen repairs though the RAC. They came yesterday and popped some resin in a couple of stone chips I had (each where contained within an area of a pound coin). They seem less visable now and hopefully will not go any further. And all for free!

I don't think they can repair *cracks*. Point is, if it's a crack they can't get the resin in between the glass surfaces. Stone chips can be repaired because the surface is open to the air.

I picked up a stone chip a few weeks back that IMMEDIATELY generated a 12 inch crack. The MOT regs state that:

A chip/crack in the driver's field of view must be contained within a 10mm diameter circle (the 20p piece above is near enough)

A chip/crack within the "swept area" of the windscreen wipers, but NOT within the driver's field of view must be contained within a 40mm diameter circle.

AFAIK there's only "structural safety" considered outside those areas. If you have a crack through all the laminate layers then the screen MUST be replaced, as it's no longer safe.

jus phoned the ins company,,,very helpful and they gave me the number for the RAC call centre called them up and they gave me their local number and he tole me to go down and get it checked immediately but i couldnt today so they will be coming down to me on sunday and try and sort it out and if they cant they will order me a new screen on tuesday (bank hol monday) so a good service so far, new screen will cost me £60 excess and repairs are free....

will keep ya updated

My local RAC did mine on Monday which my insurance co paid for, it is not invisible repair but better than a paying for a new one. The guy at the RAC said C's screen were a real pig to do as well, something to do with the outer rim of the screen.

The guy at the RAC said C's screen were a real pig to do as well, something to do with the outer rim of the screen.

they are a pig...i watched the dude struggle on mine ...BUT....by the time he had got to fitting the new screen dopey here had got bored to tears and freezing cold and left him to it....ive noticed since that he hasnt done the tidyest of jobs with the sealant...i little niggle but i can see a couple of finger prints here and there and after all ...SOMEONE is paying alot of money for that guy to fit the screen....so make SURE the guy doing it hasnt got all :mad: by the time he refits ..and does a sh1te job.... :)

young guy came round today part of the RAC lan was spot on took 15 mins and sort of injected this glue thing into the screen and its all good now hardly notice it at all,,, job done :smile:

15 mins to inject the glue stuff sounds a bit carry on! :wink:

glad to hear its sorted...having to change the screen is a bit of a git!.