Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Well I just bought a Golf...

Having spoken to Vince about the PD engine upgrades at the last RR day I went to at Stealth as I was looking at Passat TDis, he reckoned the 115bhp (which is usually more like 125 anyway!) could be pepped up to 150 odd for a few hundred quid...

I've ended up going the 20VT route though. Collecting the Passat on Saturday... ;) (It's instead of the Mrs' Arosa btw, so don't panic :) )

have been thinking this might be a good engine for my raddo....im sure there must be a few low milage engines flying about....how difficult do you reckon it would be??

Having spoken to Vince about the PD engine upgrades at the last RR day I went to at Stealth as I was looking at Passat TDis, he reckoned the 115bhp (which is usually more like 125 anyway!) could be pepped up to 150 odd for a few hundred quid...

I've ended up going the 20VT route though. Collecting the Passat on Saturday... ;) (It's instead of the Mrs' Arosa btw, so don't panic :) )

Yeah.. stock figures for the 115PD are 115BHP and 210lb/ft of torque - Revo quote an increase of 35BHP and 40lb/ft of torque for one of their rechips. I might consider it eventually but.. to be honest it seems pretty punchy as it is. Maybe when I get bored of the current performance i'll look to a rechip.

Rather do like the Passats.. lowered a smidge on BBS RC's they look fantastic!

have been thinking this might be a good engine for my raddo....im sure there must be a few low milage engines flying about....how difficult do you reckon it would be??

hennys been looking into this..

Mate of mine in Germany had a TDI in his Rado, but got rear ended recently (some women crashed into his Rado with 70 km/h !), so that's that. I think the engine is still fine, but the guy's got a major whip-lash.

His Rado did go, though, with that engine, and it was ever so economical. it just sounded funny, not used to the sounds of a diesel engine coming from a Rado :lol:

Tempest

i had a 99 1.9tdi Audi A4 before my raddo....loads of torque.....really good engines.

I wouldnt worry too much about the mileage on that car dude. My uncle has one with something like 160k on the clock, and barring usual minor repairs, it has been great. I drive it now and then, and it still goes well, drives and feels like a car that has done only 50k. Good luck 2 u with it mate.

Jim, nice car!!

You'll soon get the urge to get it remap'd, just to annoy even more petrol engined cars with the mid-range grunt from the PD :-)

By the way Jim, remember not to turn into a typical "new golf" driver. All the ones round here see a Corrado and its as though they are programmed to prove that they have got a quick car, and they have to show every other road user that they can drive fast! GTi drivers I find are the worst.

Have fun Jim ; Im sure it will be a quite relaxed , wollowy ride. How does it feel sat high up there? lol See you about fella

£6,000 - ouch!

My friends Mk4 with a hefty 84k is looking for £5500 ono and I told him that was over priced. I'd rather a rado vr6 for a tad more.

BTW, congrats on the Golf, Jim, forgot to say that in my 1st post in this thread :oops:

You'll have to take me for a spin then, I suppose to show me what a TDI can do ;-)

Tempest

The hardest part is the wiring... the rest of it should just bolt straight in as the block is basically the same as the rest of VWs 4 cylinder lumps... 8)

A tuner I was speaking to about doing this conversion to a Corrado reckons that if you use a 130PD as a basis for the conversion, a decent remap and a couple of cheap mods should see around 180bhp and 280Lb/Ft! :crazyeyes: :lol: Well upto VR6 scaring figures with around 50mpg too! :lol:

hi jim.

glad your pleased.

a few suspension tweeks and you'll be set, doesnt need anything drastic... check tyre pressures aswell.

i like the BBS CH wheel... some 19's on an S3 i saw recently

Ade_D3.jpg

and on a golf

Paul1.jpg

Diesel noises emitted from a Corrado is just wrong..... but it would be an interesting conversion. I'm not really a fan of the narrow power band of 1900 engines personally and they're agricultural by modern standards too. The new 2.0 TDI is a much better engine. Delivers less than the 1900s on paper but drives better on the road and feels no slower....and it's quieter!

The 150 PD was the limit of that engine (hence the revised 2.0) and it really was rough and ready....the 130 is the best of the PD 1900s....

I've recently spoken to a guy who owns a breakers yard who it turns out I used to know a while back... :) he's now on the lookout for a written off 2.0 TDI VW for me which he'll do me a decent price on... ;) 8)

Diesel noises emitted from a Corrado is just wrong..... but it would be an interesting conversion. I'm not really a fan of the narrow power band of 1900 engines personally and they're agricultural by modern standards too. The new 2.0 TDI is a much better engine. Delivers less than the 1900s on paper but drives better on the road and feels no slower....and it's quieter!

The 150 PD was the limit of that engine (hence the revised 2.0) and it really was rough and ready....the 130 is the best of the PD 1900s....

Perhaps a 2l TDI in a Corrado would be ok'ish!?

130 PD is good, but if not in the zone it's a bit pants.

16v TDI is more linear in comparison ... sort of half way between a petrol and 8v PD.

Yeah exactly LJ, the 150 PD was a laggy engine by TDI standards...and so was the 130 to some extent, but not half as bad as the 150. The 115 PD was a nice unit, no lag and quite smooth. You might be able to tame some of the lag with a proper remap (not one of those cheap serial boxes) though.

If you want linear and SERIOUS grunt....try a 530d. My mate's just got one as his company hack and feck me, it really is a viable alternative to petrol. It's quiet, feckin quick (despite being an auto) and smooth as silk....

Hate to admit it, but I also drive a 320Cd Sport which *will* be chipped as the chassis is crying out for so much more! Have to get those rear 255/35R18 silly tyres working as it's soooo over tyred and will be more fun with the DSC turned off :-)

My 130 PD does nothing to about 1800rpm and then all hell breaks loose. Quite funny with it's wobbly suspension.

What is it with BMW and their tyre sizes? They're way over sized for the job and all it results in is premature wear in the steering rack....which I found out when I went through my BMW phase.

My Dad's Mondeo TDCi is a curious diesel...also doesn't do much till 1800rpm but the damn thing stalls so easily! Quite punchy on the move though.

I've recently spoken to a guy who owns a breakers yard who it turns out I used to know a while back... he's now on the lookout for a written off 2.0 TDI VW for me which he'll do me a decent price on...

will be VERY interested to hear how that all works out....

Mmmm....

Well its been cool so far. The very worst economy i've seen has been 22MPG! On a steady drive the economy heavily depends on what sort of gradient you are on.. if you're going down a very light hill the turbo just drops off and you chug along getting, as you can see below, uber economy. If you hit a hill and the car has to work, you end up about 35-40MPG - and nice dead level road surface you're usually hitting about 50-60MPG.

I filled up two nights ago and having done 60 miles the needle has just started to budge out of the 'full' section on the fuel gauge. And I have driven in 'anger' a bit.. been feeling a bit cheesed off with things lately so the car has had to be on the recieving end of that a bit!

A tad!

The standard gamma stereo is amazing as well! I thought i'd have to look at buying some bits to boost it but I think the quality of it pretty much spot on for me!

The performance is a tad lacking above 70MPH though.. through the gears, you kinda get this surge of torque as the turbo spools (and its enough torque to pull the car up a hill with 5 people in it easily!) but then after that surge there really isn't anything else there so you pretty much need to change up after about 3,500RPM as you don't get any more performance, just a lot more noise!

But still in the 'honeymoon' and still loving the car - its a truely excellent package! :)