Sign in to follow this  
VR6 South

Dead Sunroof Help!

Just gone to close the sunroof and it has eventually died. The motor is working but only pulls from one side so the roof itself will not fully close from the up position. Any ideas on how to close it before I get the chance to do a full repair job, would be appreciated (rain is on the way :( ) I've tried the sunroof key and that doesn't work :(

Put a thin screwdriver in from the inside and move the mechanism by hand... the cable has snapped so it won't move that side via the motor...

You'll have to "pulse" the motor so that the other side (which still works) goes down at roughly the same time as the side you're doing by hand...

Cheers. It took a bit of time to align, but I think it's just about straight enough to keep the rain out. Do you think that it is just a case of a broken cable or is there any other parts that usually require replacement? before I wipe the dust from my Jan 2004 Sprinter and Bentley Manual?

Has anyone tackled the sunroof repair? I'm going to give it ago this W/E any ideas how long it's likely to take???

Yeah I have about 3 times now! It's quite straight forward. Can probably be done in half a day or so,

You'll need to buy the cable repair kit (2 new cables) and 2 water plate guides from VW.

Cheers, I've ordered the cables from the local stealer. You don't happen to have the part No for the water plate guides? + are they expensive? :wink:

I did have but I've lost them, try a search as Mike Edwards has posted the numbers up in the past. The guides are £40 each. I'd also get 2 new pins for the guides as they were out too.

Just picked up the kit which comes with the pins. Have removed and cleaned the headliner sun visors etc ready to drop the sun roof tomorrow. Wish me luck as it has all gone to plan so far :)