Sign in to follow this  
G-Laden

Im new here, and want one of dems Corrado's...

Hi all,

great website lads, I have been looking into getting a G60 now for a couple of weeks. The story goes, I used to have a Mk3 Golf Driver, it was my first car and loved it to pieces, when unfortunately i spooned it on christmas eve 2002 and wrote it off. I used to buy PVW and got the star letter in the wicker man issue back in July? 2002! I then went onto Alfa's, now i think Alfa fans and Dub fans have something in coomon, in that they like to keep things looking factory, or looking as if it came from the factoey, i.e no barry boy spoilers etc, just a clean looking ride. I have myself a 145 with the old skool boxer engines in it, being only a 1.6 8v its not the quickest but its no slouch, and its far quicker than my Driver. The time has come when i am looking to replace it, and my initial thought was 145 Cloverleaf (2.0 Twin Spark) as to be fair these cars are rapid, even in standard tune and great to look it. But then one day i thought to myself "I used to love the dub scene" and am a great fan of the Corrado in every guise, especially G60 (cant afford a VR6, let alone the insurance as final year of uni is beckoning) form.

What should i look out for in terms of known problems and faults? im used to a high maintenance car having owned an Alfa, so keeping on top of the G-Lader servicing isnt a problem. Its just the things like how often do you change/top up the oil? are the thirsty (mpg?) and do they rust? (again, owning an alfa u need to know these things, even though mine hasnt been bad at all).

Im looking for a standard as possible 40k+ (wishful thinking i know but you never mind) but no more miles than 80-90k, have cash waiting and need some tips people!

Keep up the good work!

if you ever fancy a look at some nice alfa's goto http://www.alfa145.co.uk (sorry if this forum has a "no other forums plug" policy.

Chris

I got a G60 as my first corrado.....and i can say i love it.

Should change the oil/filter every 5000 miles (reminds me, guess what im doing next weekend). Rust not a major issue (although these cars are over 10 years old) although not as bad as Alfas....

The MPG is not good around town, although on the motorway i get about 35 MPG (being sensible and legal). I got mine with under 80K on the clock, just have to keep any eye out.

Hope all goes well with the serach and keep us updated

PS. My 100th post, so at least......I AM REGULAR

G-Laden, Welcome to the Forum m8.

My choice would be (& was) a G60 - be prepared for doing some work on it though - even low mileage ones are still at least 12/13 years old.

I wouldn't even consider any of the other engines

thanks for the replies fellas. Im not into tornado red corrado's, its suits a mk2 golf gti. Gorgeous car though in great condition!

thanks for the replies fellas. Im not into tornado red corrado's, its suits a mk2 golf gti. Gorgeous car though in great condition!

believe me tornado red does suit the Corrado especially one that is as tidy as Fat Tony's

welcome aboard!!!

i've had a 145 Alfa previously, it was the 1.6 too and as much as i loved it the Rado kicks its ass.... when i came to get a new car 2 months ago i was looking for either the 2.0 ltr 145 Cloverleaf or a 2.0 Rado, needless to say i decided on the Rado and havnt looked back, the Alfa is a lovely car and quick but the Corrado beats it on handling and general quality.... am soooooooo glad i bought it instead of the Alfa.....

oh, and red is a fab colour on Rados!!! :)

welcome aboard!!!

i've had a 145 Alfa previously, it was the 1.6 too and as much as i loved it the Rado kicks its ass.... when i came to get a new car 2 months ago i was looking for either the 2.0 ltr 145 Cloverleaf or a 2.0 Rado, needless to say i decided on the Rado and havnt looked back, the Alfa is a lovely car and quick but the Corrado beats it on handling and general quality.... am soooooooo glad i bought it instead of the Alfa.....

I reckon a cloverleaf down the straights and twisties would kill a 1.8 corrado, and a 2.0 one on the straights.. :wink: the problem with the 145 isnt grip, its the body roll, give it some FK springs/shocks its one of the best handling hatches out there, plus the engine note when the variator comes into play is aw inspiring..

still want a G60 though :D

corrado best handling FWD car second perhaps only to an integra.

alfa's handle nice, but not quite as nice.

a g60 would absoultely annihilate a cloverleaf in pretty much any situation :p

the 1.8/2.0 is a bit lax on performance, but its possibly the best handling.

and if your used to an alfa, prepare for TORQUE, never driven a car that mashes up tyres like my g60!

welcome aboard!!!

I reckon a cloverleaf down the straights and twisties would kill a 1.8 corrado, and a 2.0 one on the straights.. :wink: the problem with the 145 isnt grip, its the body roll, give it some FK springs/shocks its one of the best handling hatches out there, plus the engine note when the variator comes into play is aw inspiring..

thats probably true about the handling but with a Rado u dont need to do anything to it to get an awesome drive - it comes as standard...

my 145 was lucky to give me 30mpg and that was mostly motorway miles, the Rado, even with the probs i have just now is easily giving me 38 and i aint holding back when i drive it....

also i had to get rid of the 145 when it was 6 years old because of the problems i was beginning to have with rust, the whole of the underside of the car was in a mess, Rados 12 and she has a couple of little spots but nothing compared to the alfa...

get a G60, have some fun n if u dont like it there are some lovely Cloverleafs about, u can always go back too.....

after dub there is nothing! :p

i have to say on consumption the g60 is terrible if your doing short runs, i sometimes (sometimes) wish i got a valver instead for the free revving engine and economy (and lower insurance!)

and as far as red rado's go. scarletts changed my mind its luverly. specially with them shoes.

welcome aboard!!!

thats probably true about the handling but with a Rado u dont need to do anything to it to get an awesome drive - it comes as standard...

my 145 was lucky to give me 30mpg and that was mostly motorway miles, the Rado, even with the probs i have just now is easily giving me 38 and i aint holding back when i drive it....

also i had to get rid of the 145 when it was 6 years old because of the problems i was beginning to have with rust, the whole of the underside of the car was in a mess, Rados 12 and she has a couple of little spots but nothing compared to the alfa...

get a G60, have some fun n if u dont like it there are some lovely Cloverleafs about, u can always go back too.....

Not sure about the best FWD hatch to date, after all, the Corrado and the Integra arent strictly hatches are they? Definately one of the best handling small coupes, along with the Fiat Coupe/Alfa GT. For its age nothing can touch the corrado full stop.

hows about the 147/156 GTA. ive driven a 147 gta, and although its a little nose heavy (the dive/lift is apalling) it sticks to the road like dogger to a new suede shoe, not to mention looks the meanest hatch out there, the R32 doesnt touch it.. Why dont VW release a corrado replacement with the 20VT/3.2 engine in it? they would make a killing!

One thing to bear in mind, I do love my G60 but it's an expensive car to run. Most are getting on a bit now and need things replacing on them. VAG parts aren't all that cheap either. My car cost me £3.5K but I've spend probably about £2.5K again on it. Not tuning bits necessarily but maintenance and "turning the clock back" parts.

and as far as red rado's go. scarletts changed my mind its luverly. specially with them shoes.

cheers mate!!!

:D

tis lovely!

wish mine lokoed that tidy, at the moment you can almost see my intercooler from the cracks ni the bumper (oopsie)

what wheels are they scarlett?

:D

tis lovely!

wish mine lokoed that tidy, at the moment you can almost see my intercooler from the cracks ni the bumper (oopsie)

what wheels are they scarlett?

its a set of TSW's i picked up of a guy in my work for £200! bargain! only 16's mind so they'll look even better after shes been lowered!

was quite lucky cos although she got a load of faults the bodywork and paintwork are immaculate, someones obviouly looked after her a long time ago...

same here overall in good nick, just a few dents and minor scratches. does annoy me though want to get her looking perfect as soon as i can.

gonna go for a riger bumper and maybe an FK grille or late spec grille, mines nasty specially with the faded badge!

thouhgt they looked familar just remembered a mate has a set for his punto (vomit) his tyres cost a fortune??? something like £90 a corner!

am planning to keep her as original as poss, so she'll be lowered but the badges are just getting a coat of paint!!!

yup tyres are pricey, get a discount through my work tho so can get decent quality ones for £45....!! yay!!