Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Big hesitation - AFTER FULL SERVICE!!!!!!!!!

Not another problem! Fixed my water leaks (thanks to you guys), thought i'd treat the car to a full service and then i can give it some 1/4 mileage at the inters.

Picked it up, felt smoother at low revs and idled better. Waited for her to warm up, tickled it a little and as soon as it got to 3800 it grumbled and then picked up again. Its quite a lumpy big hesitation, not as savage as a cut out but very noticeable! Like its missing on a couple of cylinders

Drove it for an hour and it it happens around the same revs in ever gear every time. obviously more savage in lower gears. It has never missed a beat until the service today!!

What have they done or not plugged back in. Im worried they've ragged it or something! Any ideas or will i have to go back and hurt someone tommorrow! :evil: :(

thats what i thought, but why is at at specific revs everytime. and it runs on fin from 4000-5500 etc and its fine before 3500!? surpose it could be at a certain vibration on a loose ht? ive checked them all on the coil pack but dont have a tool to push them into the head.

Nick Mate, come and see me on Saturday and I'll take a look. I'll have my laptop and VAG-COM wth me.

I'll be on the Audioscape stand as discussed on PM.

Cheers

K

Wow, what a star! Can't ask for more than that can you!

Just noticed the pump sound louder, very winey, hope thats not another £100 coinsidence! and it is missing after 3800 all the way now. Pump pitch is going up and down. Wonder if its anything they could have done today?

Whiney pump = not good. VR pumps are usually silent, I certainly can't hear mine. What I've found over the years is this. The pump has the requsite 4 bar to sustain idle and low/midrange fuelling requirements, but as soon as you step on the gas and need some 5000rpm plus action, a

worn pump simply cannot sustain that 4 bar.

The only way to be sure is to hook up a pressure guage to the pump output and monitor the readings on a rolling road.

Kind of sounds pump related to me. GPC will be there at inters and might have a pump. Henny usually brings an entire snap-on tool kit in his boot, so between us we can swap the pump out for you, but we'll see what Mr VAG-COM has to say on the matter first, it might just be a £30 cam sensor or something.

Shall i bother taking it back to the garage tommorrow or limp up to the inters for you to take a gander then? Only reason i ask is because its a 180 mile trip for me and i wouldnt want it to pack up completely? Wont run lean will it?!

Dont think i could ask you guys to fit a pump for me, very generous but it would prob spoil your day!

LOL, fitting a pump is nothing mate....15 minute job.

It's up to you, I'm not saying it's the pump for 100% sure, but if it's whining, it's a sign of wear. I'm sure it'll make the trip and the free VAG-COM scan will tell you some more stories anyway, so probably worth the trip as VW charge £80 per hour for diagnostic checking.

It's up to you mate, I don't want to encourage you into a journey you might not feel comfortable with, but rest assured, there will be LOADS of us handy with tools etc to help out :D

OK - last time I heard of someone having a noisy pump straight after a service, it turned out the fuel filter was fitted the wrong way round - deffo worth a check!

As Mr charged said, filter fitted correctly (you never know with these YTS plebs)?

AA.....I have the full whack 'Option 400' service, so book it under my name if need be, LOL!

Dom's hopefully bringing me an almost new 4bar pump down so we can use that if needed but GSF should hopefully have some down there...

Got my email ban removed at work now (trial period!) so i can reply during the day again.

Took it back thismorning and it turned out to be a naff plug lead and they had managed to rip the silcone exposing the core aswell! Its running better now, but the pump is still very loud.

Oh, and they said you never change the fuel filter on vr engines, its not in the schedule!?

They're right. But after TEN YEARS it can't be a good idea to leave the original intact!!

My thoughts exactly!! Think me pumps def on its way south, still a slight flat spot mid to hi 3ks, and it missed once on the way home tonight.

First thing i'll buy at the inters will be a new set of perf ht's. Anyone recomend a good make? And i'd rather they were under £150!

Are you going this year Dr Mat ?