Sign in to follow this  
balboa

BBS RM SIZE DIFFERNCE

hi, i have a golf gti mk2 , i have gone from the standard bbs ra to bbs rm's...the tyre size has changed from 195/50 r15 6" to 195/45 r15 7"..is this a good or bad move,,, as i am getting conflicting info....cheers

ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME....THANKS

try turning caps lock off dude....it aggresive on the eyes! :wink:

The 45 profile tyres wil give you a slightly smaller rolling radius of the wheel, meaning your speedo will over-read slightly, but there won't be any adverse affects on how the car drives... In fact, because the tyres are lower profile for the same diameter (15"), you'll be able to lower the car more! ;)

sorry for the highjacking...but what do yuo reckon i should go for on these gradeAfailure?..was thinkg 195/45/15

Nah - 195/45-15 is fine on the MK2Golf but on the 'rado the wheels'd look lost in the arches - 195/50's are bad enough as it is! You got 55 profiles at the mo?

If yr coming to Inters tomorrow (which of course you should!), then I reckon you should buy my 4 195/50-15 Avons off me...! ;)

i think theyre 205/50/15s

If yr coming to Inters tomorrow (which of course you should!),

Alas no. .... im not!

i get totally confused with tyre sizes...i havent gotta clue what to go for....im only changing the fronts too...so the fronts will be different to the backs?

Tyre sizes are quite easy to figure out and calculate really... There are loads of internet sites that explain it, but I'm bored so might as well do it here...!

For a 195/50-15 tyre:

195 is the width of the tread in mm

50 is the profile (sidewall height), and is expressed as a percentage of the tread width

15 is obviously the wheel diameter

So, the approximate diameter of 195/50 15 tyres will be:

2x(195x0.5)+(15x25.4) = 576mm

two sidewalls x (tread width x profile) + (wheel diameter x conversion to mm) = wheel diameter

Make sense?!

so 195/45/15 would look the same from the side as a 205/50/15......but would be wider from the front and back angle?.

so whatabout 195/45/15's on the front then?...and the original 205/50/15's on the back?

No, from the side, 195/45 will be much smaller than 205/50!

195 x 0.45 = 87.75mm sidewall height

205 x 0.5 = 102.5mm sidewall height

Sidewall height of a 205/45 will be:

205 x 0.45 = 9.25

So, pretty much halfway between the other two! However, I don't think that 205/45-15 is a very common size, unlike the 195/50's.

If you're only buying two tyres then I rekcon you're best off sticking with the same size as you have already - but places like Camskill are so cheap for tyes these days, if yr not happy with the profile of yours then you may as well change all four and flog the others as part-worns...

If you're only buying two tyres then I rekcon you're best off sticking with the same size as you have already

why? :oops:

The answer's in the question, dude...!

No, seriously, you may as well get 195/50's on the front cause you can get good brands cheap in that size, then when the other two wear you can stick the used 195s on the back and put new ones on the front...

It's generally just more convenient to have all four tyres the same size as you can swap wheels round should you need to - if you have directional tyres on, and a different size between front and rear, then each wheel can only fit on one corner correctly - if you see what i mean!