Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Jims 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDI

Yeah.. well its another thread, but hey this is what the members gallery is for. I don't know if I will end up modifying this car in any way, but I guess if I do then i've got a place to document any progress I make.

But for now, one decent quality picture, after the full specs..

Volkswagen MK4 Golf GT TDI PD - 115BHP

Cars done a whopping 107,000 miles (has almost exactly the same mileage as my Corrado G60 had on it and that was a J reg!) and is totally standard. Has some optional extras on the inside including the weird front arm rest (which I keep smacking my elbow on when I put my seatbelt on), leather trimmed steering wheel, and a rear boot spoiler. Has aircon, gamma stereo with in dash CD and tape and a 6 CD changer in the boot. Has the 6 speed box which is nice for cruising at speed - at 70MPH engine revs are at a smidge under 2000RPM and its nice and quiet!

Anyway.. piccie!

mygolf.jpg

Car is in URGENT need of a polish as I think its been carwashed all its life.. the damage to paintwork from those machines is almost beyond belief. I swear I will never ever use a car wash.. ever! I washed it today and for a car that looks so glossy from a slight distance, up close the clearcoat looks like its been taken to with a brillo.. but I do think that the Zymol cleaner wax will take care of that after one or two coats!

Nice car Jim. 107k miles won't have caused it any problems I'm sure. I bet most of the miles were on the m/way.

Does it have a full VW history?

Regards the paint, you'd be better off having the car machine polished with a professional cutting compound to take the scratches away. A good wax after will have it looking like glass :) .

Looks good matey - are you planning any mods? The wheels are it's only weak point IMO

I genuinely don't want to modify it.. it seems that its easier to sell a car thats just been left alone and as I obviously won't own this car for all of time, i'll need to sell it on eventually..

I might change the alloys.. but then if I do that, I need to change the suspension.. its a gradual, slippery slope really and at this point i'm just not sure what to do! :)

Cheers for the advice on the paint MoonlightVR - perhaps a pro machine polish would be the best thing for it. Maybe I should find a good valet place.. or even a mobile one and get em to go over it properly.

Take it you're plenty pleased with yours too?

170 miles so far off 1/4 of a tank.. woohoo :)

Take it you're plenty pleased with yours too?

170 miles so far off 1/4 of a tank.. woohoo :)

Yeah its a very nice car, wish I had got the 130 bhp though as you get used to power quickly and want a little extra. I drive mine to hard to get good MPG, but got 54 MPG on the way back from inters today sitting at 60 in fifth/sixth.. Normally get 400-450 miles off a tank. I do like it though!

Just one more profess my love for Zymol!

Sadly the paint is great from a slight distance / angle but truthfully there isn't an undamaged panel when you get up close... its clearly done every single one of those 107,000 miles. I'm not too bothered though to be honest! :)

mygolf2.jpg

And a silly one for Andi who always trys to play spot the photographer in pictures of shiny cars.. don't get any easier than this I guess ;)

mygolf3.jpg

Ha! Me and my mates make the journey down from Stafford to Coed y Brenin every now and then - in my VR I used burn most of a £55 tank over a weekend; went down in a mates TDi the other weekend, and the fuel gauge hardly moved! TDi pulls pretty strong too! Hope you've got a good 'un.

275 miles and just under half a tank left so far. I had to do a full bore launch from a roundabout today thanks to some loon going a bit quicker than I thought.. and whilst it doesn't make a particularly appealing noise when you gun it, it picks up flipping quick if you need to get out of a pickle :)

Golf Tdi: top car for getting from A to B

C VR: top car for going from A to A again just for the hell of it!!