Sign in to follow this  
smiff

Brake Calipers

Can anyone please recommend a make of rear calipers for my corrado. I replaced the pair about 18months ago with original VW parts.....one has already failed! I've been told I can fit mark3 Golf GTI calipers (only as a pair). C+R Enterprises sell mark3's for about £60each. Are they any good? I don't really want to spend too much, as it cost me nearly £300 last time!

Alright mate I have just enquired at work about these as they are failing on my G60 at the mo i got a trade price from work for about £45+vat each. I can possibly get you some for this price as well let me know what you think and I ll see about ordering them!!

What year C do you have as late C's have the same rear calipers as mk3 Golfs. I'd check the part numbers first. They are slightly bettter design than the early C calipers but still prone to seizing.

The mk4 calipers are the alloy ones. They do bolt straight on but the brake line fitting is different, its a 'banjo' style. ECP do a kit for mk4 calipers to fit mk2 and 4 golfs and it comes with an adaptor or you can get some made up. I'm not sure maybe original mk4 items will work???

HTH

Thanks Rado16v

"ECP" This is Euro Car Parts?

I just called them, bloke was shite, he had no idea! Maybe I will call back later!

Have you any idea of a part number? Or price?

To corradog60supercharged

Hello mate

What type of Calipers can you get hold of? After reading the rest of the replys, Im now not sure if the mark4 calipers will fit? I was going to get some Goodridge hose's anyway!

Why am I not suprised? Its Euro Car Parts BTW.

Its listed under mk4 golf section. Hang on I'll have a butchers. Here it is:

GENUINE 133441955 N/S REAR CALIPER GOLF MK4 TO FIT MK2/3 L/H £68.89

GENUINE 133441965 O/S REAR CALIPER GOLF MK4 TO FIT MK2/3 R/H £68.89

*All prices shown exclude VAT.

There's also a sucharge.

As you can see from above these parts are listed for mk2/3 golfs but not C. But if you take a look at part numbers for the C and mk2/3 calipers they match so logic would dictate the will fit the C. Probably good idea to ask if it comes with the adaptor/fittings for mk4 banjo style but I doubt they would know without it being there. I heard the the adaptors were made by goodridge but I don't know how true this is.

HTH

The callipers we get are made by XL and by getting them from me you will not have a surcharge as long as I get the old callipers back off ya!! The callipers are of the mk3 golf variety which are the original ones fitted to the late mk2's and corrados I believe. I can get em for around the £45 mark if you are interested Smiff ECP sell the goodridge brake hoses for £45 I think not too sure they're server is busy at the moment so cant 100% confirm that price.

I've been talking to TSR and they sell a Mk4 kit, £180 including hoses and fittings. Mmmmm........I'm still undecided! MK4s are Alloy and are less prone to sticking! ECP - Mk4 are £140 a pair +surcharge on each caliper.......Mmmmm!!!!

Finally Sorted.

Calipers from TSR- Mk4 Golf + Goodridge hoses (£180)

New disks, pads, wheel bearings, cables, and labour (£250)

Mmmmm! A bit much!

........will the bills ever stop!

use an ally rear caliper !! the mk3 one is a direct replacement so is the logicall answer really? isnt it :x :x :roll:

Right I'm a bit confused after that lot.

My caliper seized this morning(only one of them). :evil:

I have a 1991 16v C.

What the cheapest fix?

One MK3 caliper....(direct fit???)

Replace them both....(The other will prob go anyway????)

Or is it advised togo down the MK4 and hoses option......Skint, so not really an option.

I got 2 mk3 ones from German Swedish and French a year or so back for 85 quid (for the pair!), they had no mk 2/early C ones, so sold me the mk3 ones for the same price, as others have said, direct fit, no problems ever since (better handbrake release mechanism)

I'd say replace them both and that'll be it. relatively easy job to do DIY, just a couple of bolts and bleeding the calipers through afterwards, a mole grip or brake hose clamp to stop the fuid draining out as you swap the calipers over.

David.

Right I'm a bit confused after that lot.

My caliper seized this morning(only one of them). :evil:

I have a 1991 16v C.

What the cheapest fix?

One MK3 caliper....(direct fit???)

Replace them both....(The other will prob go anyway????)

Or is it advised togo down the MK4 and hoses option......Skint, so not really an option.