Sign in to follow this  
Tempest

Atn: G60 Corrado owners (don't know about the others)

i just used a 1m length of 8mm fuel like I got for a quid, and some new clamp

mine was pissing fuel out so badly it would drip on the floor at work (i thought it was oil at first) and then it started smoking in traffic!

managed to knacker my loom in the process!

T

pamcorrado002.jpg

this G60 turbo i had caught on fire... i guess turbo heat is not these fuel lines friends... luckily i am not one to just sit and watch it burn like many people i have seen in the states... i kept a fire extinguisher in the car cause i've heard of G60 engine fires... quickly shut the car off took my shirt off to try smothering it, went back into the car, got the fir extinguisher and sprayed till it was empty... didn't even melt the paint haha, just the hood lining on the bottom side burnt up...

didn't even melt the paint haha, just the hood lining on the bottom side burnt up...

I like a happy ending! :cheers:

Mine's in the garage next week anyway so think I'll get mine done then. Better safe than extremely sorry. Good spot Tempest

hmmm... been thinking about this. Are the braided lines worth it? What sort of cost difference is there? dunno what to go for

More mayhem:

http://www.nwm-tv.de/index.php?id=1279

Another G60-C burnt out near Osnabrück, as the engine caught fire.

Worst thing here is that when the owner opened the bonnet he got the fuel squirting straight into his eye :shock:. Hospital job et al ensued.

Get those 3 fuel hoses changed, peeps.

Tempest

Hiya,

I has to admit a few years ago that happened to my fuel lines, but it must be said the service life of most fuel rubber hoses is only around 10 years as it is, so when I rebuilt the egine last year that was one of the many bits I replaced.

Cheers

Parts ordered from the local dealers, about £50 all in...

[Edit: Thats for the long, under-body send and return fuel lines, the in-bay ones are about £10 each]

Just need some time to fit them :D

And here's why you should check old hoses even if they look 'fine' from the outside:

Fuel Return Hose.JPG[/attachment:3v2rl583]

Looks like a 17 year life is more than they were meant to have! :shock: :lol:

And today I pulled of the fuel rail send and the pressure switch send hoses - more cracks as expected :roll:

Fuel Send Hose at Junction.jpg[/attachment:3jm5a3ge]

This one was manufactured in 1991.

Get those old hoses replaced, people!

I did buy a small fire extinguisher just in case I had an incident before I could get these sorted, but I'm keeping it in the car anyway. You never know, perhaps I can help someone else :wink:

And the pipes that were fine for my G60 that Stevemac owned in 2005 have just started to perish so time to get them changed. The smell of fuel is apparant in mine but only on idle, which I'm guessing is because the cam is pushing more fuel through making it run rich... best to change the pipes anyway though!

I've noticed today a strong petrol smell after booting up a hill, then parking up with my fan on. Would putting your foot down increase fuel pressure and thus likeliness to leak?

Can anyone please show which lines it is so that i can check and not have a burnt car :shock:

G60rc - the one you must check before driving it again is the small U shaped one at the end of the rail.

As you look at the engine it's on the RHS of the head and goes to a weird triangular bracket and into the run-on sensor which has a red / brown 2-wire plug.

Thanks, i've just been out and looked under torch light.

I flicked the ignition on until i heard the buzz, checked the U shaped on and the ones on the otherside for about 5 mins, then engine on and did the same. No immediate fuel leak to see... Would i be very likely to see it under those conditions if there was a leak?

The pipes do look quite perished though, with a small visable split on the end of the U bend one (closer to the end than the clip) so i'll buy some fuel hose tomorrow, just 8mm fuel hose wouuld do it? The original smell when i checked did seem to be coming from the LHS of the head near those pipes.

Why else would i be likely to smell fuel after putting my foot down (not high revs, just 2-3.5k in 2nd) when the engine was cold... i know, naughty naughty.

Am i safe to drive it after checking the above?

Cheers

Yeah, i'm sure it's leaking... you need to pull on the pipe slightly with the engine running but be very careful!

Standard 8mm will do for that bit but needs to be the better quality stuff to bend like that.

So standard 8mm is ok for all of them, so long as it's the better quality stuff. Where can you suggest i buy the better stuff, i presume kevin coopers/halfords etc wouldn't be best?

Also, am i ok to reuse clips, if not, what ones can i buy?

Right, VW want £85+vat for all the hoses and clips - and one is on back order so likely to be a long time coming. Not ideal when you want to use the car.

I'm searching for some hose near me, but what rating does it need to have - i have no idea about injection system pressures. Is (EDIT) 27 BAR ok? found some for cheap...

A quick answer would be brilliant

Cheers

Halfords 8mm is ok for the small bit and any fuel injection hose will do (system is only 3-4 Bar) but I would get the other two from VW though as they are moulded - I bought all 3 a few years ago for less than £50.

VW now supply spring clips for these lines, fiddly to install but will put less stress on the ends of the hoses compared to the old fuel line clips as they are a constant, fixed tension.

Unfortunately i can't shell out for the VW ones, especially since one of them is on back order. I've just been and bought some rated for 400psi (!) :lol: That should do the trick.

I took your advice and wobbled the hosed with ignition on, the first on i moved spirted a bit of fuel out, didn't bother with the others since they're getting changed anyway.

What is the best way to disconnect the fuel hose clamps where the pipes attach to the ones which go back to the tank? I assume they're the originals. They are the type that have a hook that as you squeze together clips onto another hook. Hopefully that makes sense?

Thanks a lot

Just got back in from refitting, so i'm not going to be so paranoid behind the wheel.

Is checking for leaks on the pipes under conditions of... ignition on, engine on and engine on blipping the throttle while wobbbling the pipes sufficient to make a judgement under driving loads? Will the pressure increase with load/throttle position or is it constant?

Sorry for being perhaps over cautious...

While doing it i did find some boost/air leaks around the manifold, so some more use came out of it... 8)

Rich

Pressure is constant but obviously things change a bit when they heat up and G60's run very hot indeed!

Reason I got you to pull on the pipe was to simulate engine movement - worth checking your mounts...

hi there, could any one please post a picture of the engine bay to see where these pipes go through? A friend's >G60 smells of fuel (in the cabin) :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

thanks!