Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Found another VR6, need advice

Hello again guys

was speaking to the bloke at my local garage and he has owned his corrado VR6 for seven years now and has got 120,000miles

its not a storm, but an ex-demo model with recaro leather interior and all the extras.

anyway its well looked after as he is a mechanic. so i said i may be interested in buying it

what are these cars like with this many miles? i will be using it daily and averaging about 15000 - 20000 mile per year

am use to vauxhalls and know the old redtop engines can become a bit tired after 100,000 and most people tend to get them rebuilt

At 100,000 you really want to get the chains checked/replaced and the head done ideally. Bores should also be checked for ovalisation on cylinders 1 and 6.

If that's all OK, then they're fine as daily runners.... mine is.

I recently bought a 1995 VR6 with 119,000 on it.

The engine is great, very strong, and it goes like a missile.

However, my old 16v handled sharper, quicker turn-in etc. and was more 'chuckable'.

The VR6 handles great, and grips like a grippy thing, but the 16v was still slightly better, and more 'raw', a bit more 'seat-of-the-pants'.

Also, I have just had a huge bill to replace stuff like suspension bushes, axel bushes, top mounts, gearbox mount, disks, pads, and hoses.

If yours has been maintained by a mechanic owner, then this sort of stuff may well have been done.

If not, then it will all be worn-out by now.

Also the timing chain/cam chain, and guides and tensioners, is a source of great debate on this forum.

By that mileage they may well need replacing, although VW say that they never need replacing, and that they will "last the lifetime of the engine".

I have not had mine done.... yet.

That is a big job because the gearbox needs to come out, so people get a new clutch at the same time.

If they have been done on the one you are looking at... buy it!

The real VR expert on this forum is Kevhaywire, I am only repeating stuff that he replied to me in my posts.... I am sure he will reply to your post anyway.

Good luck.

VW say that they never need replacing, and that they will "last the lifetime of the engine".

Well they do last the lifetime of the engine. When the chains snap, they lunch half of the cylinder head at the same time, thus a dead engine that lasted precisely as long as the timing chains :lol:

Seriously though, it's well worth checking the chains out. It's about £700 to replace them along with the clutch (you have to drop the gearbox to get to the chains, so you might as well do the clutch at the same time).

Don't freak out though, they don't seem to suddenly snap, you generally get quite a bit of clattery warning first :)

LOL!

No that's a good post mate....

You can get the VR to behave like your 16V though mate. Drop the camber to -1.2 at the front, fit a Neuspeed rear bar, replace the bushes (which you've done), fit some sticky tyres, VT engine mounts and your Valver will struggle to keep up in the bends :D

A Quaife diff is reputed to take even Corrado's legendary handling to a whole new level.....so the toys are all out there.....they just cost a bloody fortune though!