Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

2.8or 2.9

just another stupid question?

if you went and got a recon 2.9 on your corrado how would you know that the engine is really a 2.9 and not the 2.8?.....

ive seen that you can get new factory built 2.9 vr6 for £1400 plus vat!! without the head.... does that sound good or nothing special?

Where can you get a new factory built 2.9 vr6 for £1400??? Sounds like fantasy to me.

The block is labelled with the engine code: "ABV" for 2.9, "AAA" for 2.8.

* correction - you MIGHT be able to get a 2.9 BLOCK for £1400+VAT, but I'd be very surprised if that included a crank, let alone the rest of the engine..

Oh not this again..... I think this £1400 figure came from C&R originally. Steve Cresswell claimed this was the price you could get a VR6 block from VW for, but didn't say whether it was a 2.8 or 2.9

As no one has bothered to confirm this with VW, we can't outrule it as hearsay just yet.

The C+R story was for a "recon ENGINE" and the price was around £2500 iirc - which was total fabrication - this has since been proved wrong - C+R have quoted that it's nearer £4.5k for a recon engine from VW.

I *do*, however, believe that the price of a bare block brand new from VW is around £1400+VAT.

Oh right, dunno how you know that as it was Supercharged that Steve Cresswell said this too, but what ever Mat.....

ok well i got the price over the phone from a big vw parts place, i got the number from a mag pvw but at this moment im not at home so aint got it here!!!!! i did ask twice when i heard the price and YES it was for the 2.9 the 2.8 was less!!!!

Have you considered sourcing a 24v 2.8? they seem to be much cheaper than the 20v ts second hand and is probably better than the Corrado 2.9. Just a thought.

ok well i got the price over the phone from a big vw parts place, i got the number from a mag pvw but at this moment im not at home so aint got it here!!!!! i did ask twice when i heard the price and YES it was for the 2.9 the 2.8 was less!!!!

And that was for a fully built block, with crank, pistons, oil pump, flywheel etc etc, or just a bare block??

ok guys i might ave been wrong

at the time the price i was given was for the block with pistons and was brand new out the factory!! but that aint about nomore...

but you can still get a rebuilt engine with new pistons and all (not the head ) for 1400+vat this is not an exchange and im told all the new parts are same as factory....... with the head 1750 + vat

but they tell me its a propa job and every bit is checked and put as new!!

the price im guessing is not fitted...

im not sure if i need one but know im thinking about gettin 1!!!!!

whoever would really consider getting one put your name down lets see what we can do?? MAYBE THE'LL DO BETTER DEAL IN GROUPS!!!

DONT hold me to it coz its alot of money but lets see!!