Sign in to follow this  
Kezbo

Going to look at a corrado

Im going to look at a corrado vr6 for sale soon. Any pointers to look out for other than the obvious. Someone told me that the head needs rebuilt at 100k, is this true?

The owner has told me the sun roof doesnt work, which is a common failure on a corrado. Is this the case and how does one fix it, is it easy enough to do?

He also says that the previous owner lost the service book but he has got confirmation for vw of the sercive history, what do u think?

Cheers guys.

I found out its got a cloth interior. What are they like or is it better hanging on for once with leather? or is leather rare?

Someone has just told me it should have had its timing chains replaced at around 100k, if it hasnt whats involved price wise in changing them? Is it something a handy home mechanic can do? Ive rebuilt air cooled and a 1.8 8v gti engine, anything more callenging involved than i would have come across before?

Do a search on the timing chain issue. There are plenty of views on the subject. I think you can tell by a rattling sound from the gearbox side of the engine.

As for leather/cloth only wait if you really want the leather as the cloth is just fine.

Head - Yes, at 100K it's a good idea to rebuild any VW cylinder head, but not essential if the engine isn't smoking or burning a lot of oil. But compressions will be restored.

Chains - Same really. No noise doesn't mean they're fine, mine needed doing at 93,000. Well, it's the upper tensioner pad that lets go but you may aswell do all of it whilst you're there as the gearbox has to come off. Yes it's a DIY job, the VR is p1ss easy to work on. The chain parts come to about £250 all in. You can visually inspect the upper pad by lifting the rocker cover and having a goosey gander....

Sunroof - Complete pain the backside to fix but doable in half a day. Parts come to about £120ish all in.

Leather - Don't not get a good VR because it lacks leather. Very few leathers will be in good shape now anyway, unless the mileage is low. Leather doesn't seem to affect the car's value anyway, but that doesn't stop people spending over a grand on used sets.....so whilst it is desirable and in high demand at the moment.....don't let it be a deciding factor and the cloth seats are actually very good.