Sign in to follow this  
chris g

What tyres?

Just got my cheap Borbets, going to get them refurbished and get some new tyres. Now the difficult part is choosing some tyres. Should I get

195/45/16

205/45/16

205/40/16

Can't make my mind up, what advantages and disadvantages do each of the above give?

It all depends on how much of a stretch you want - the 195/45s will be slightly stretched, but not too much I suspect. Personally I'm not a huge fan of stretch so I'd plump for the 205/45s or the 205/40s... Depends which is cheapest really, as they'll all fit!

Also worth bearing in mind that the 205/40's will have less side wall so the ride will be harsher than 45's. The 40's will make your car sit lower and leave a bigger gap between the top of your tyre and arch aswell.

Go for 205/45 if i were you

195/45/16's are cheapest then 205/45 followed by 205/40

Not sure which would look best, I don't like tyres to look like baloons!!

Have a look in the members gallery for Rileys Corrado. He's got 195/45/16 on 8x16 Porsche D 90's

195s look silly on a 7.5" Borbet C wheel... :roll:

205,45,16 are the correct size for the wheel, won't make the speedo read incorrectly and will provide some protection for the lip of the wheel too...

Tyres are also readily available and are pretty cheap too... 8)

Must admit I like the stretched look a lot. As long as the cars really low it looks great.

Just don’t think its a good idea to stretch them to much if you drive hard. Also I think only certain tyres with good rim protectors are suitable. Think these include Toyo proxy’s, Goodyear Eagle F1 and P9000's.