Sign in to follow this  
Rob Heath

16V Starting

Ive got a 1800 16v with the mods shown in my sig. When stone cold, it will start absolutely brilliantly (barely even turns and it kicks straight in), when the engine is hot it also starts well, but when the engine is in between, it takes quite a few turns before it starts.

You can hear the fuel pump priming and whilst the engine is turning over, you can get a strong smell of petrol.

Ive given it a service and changed the plugs and leads, but this hasnt really helped.

Anyone else had any similar problems or got any ideas??

Im new to these 16v engines, so havent had much experience working on them.

have youy changed dizzy cap & rotar arm??

ignition switch could be on its way out...

Must admit I get this similar problem - most noticable when stopping for fuel... 9 times in 10 it starts no problem but like you say the in between hot and cold starts can take a little longer.

Mines running a brand new bottom end with a fully reconditioned head so there shouldn't be anything wrong with her - however I will be intersted to see if you find a solution as it could be the same with mine...

Mine does it too. Drives me bloody mad. I've changed dizzy cap, rotor arm, cold start valve, thermotime switch. Nothing helps. Smells of petrol when it's having this problem (between being stone cold and hot) and when it does start it runs on

Did have a thought that it was the injectors leaking into the bores when left for a while, but I'm not spending 100 quid to 'try' something else out that is pointless (as with the cold start valve/thermotime - they are expensive!).

Any help really appreciated.

May be a long shot but i had the same thing on my k-jet.

I was told it was my fuel check valve (or something like that - sound familiar??). This was replaced and cured the fault. I think the valve sends the fuel in the fuel lines back to the tank when the engine is turned off. This stops the fuel in the engine bay heating up from the heat of the engine. When this happens you get air pockets in the fuel lines which cause poor starting from hot. Sounds well long winded but i read about it in the "golf" magazine and decided to get mine replaced.

Would a dodgy ignition switch cause the revs to drop and every now and then cut out all together?

I thought it was just used for start up....??????