Sign in to follow this  
Madjackal

Clutches

I will be taking my car up to the VW maintainence mecca of stealth racing in the coming months for timing chain/tesioner/clutch renewal. My question is this. Will i benefit from an upgrade in clutch, I know there are many companies who supply performance clutches and the like but will any of them make a real difference, if so what will that difference be, is it worth the cost or should I just stick with the VW one?

How much power are you running on your VR? The standard clutch is more than enough for most people with superchargers, so there's not much benefit in switching.

Put it this way: Vince is usually pretty quick to suggest upgrades when it's a no-brainer, and he usually just fits LUK or SACHS standard clutches without a murmur.

I also run a standard VR6 clutch in my 250ish BHP G60... best cheap upgrade for the G60 I've found so far...

Unless you've done something rather spectacular to your VR6, the standard clutch should be well up to the job... 8)

and he usually just fits LUK or SACHS standard clutches without a murmur.

Not anymore he doesn't.

VAG clutches are the only ones he puts in VRs now.

Which are made by LUK or SACHS, apparently.

He got my clutch from VW I think, and it's an LUK.

Nope, they're not.

I had a very lengthy discussion with Vince about this last week as VR6's juddering with aftermarket units is STILL ongoing.

One of his customers is now on his 5th warranty clucth job.....and VAG ones seem a lot better than the LUK and SACHS according to Vince, but despite a VAG clutch and new flywheel, the juddering is still there but slight compared to the SACHS/LUK.

Something odd is going on with VRs and clutches but he hasn't traced the definite cause yet, but suspects it's the poor manufacturing quality of the kits....which he described and which I've seen myself.

He had 5 LUK clutches in a row and measured the pressure plate springs on all of them and they were all way off tolerance, so he sent them back with a note and LUK admitted there is a fault with their clutches.

So he only uses VAG now and they're definitely not LUK or SACHs.

Ok. Never had any major issues with mine. Sure there's a tiny bit of a judder if you try and pull away with the revs down at less than 1k, but nothing major.

Hmmm - I know Valeo also make clutches for VW but I seem to remember the original that came out of yours Kev was a SACHS... (If it was the original)

Sachs and LUK make most of the OEM clutches around. Even ap racing clutches are made by LUK and its what I've got in the cossie.

Clutch problems can also be caused by the release bearing or a worn spigot bearing / input shaft. I didn't look at Dinkus' engine when I took it out earlier cos I didn't have time, should have done really.

I had my clutch + flywheel replaced last week, all proper stuff from the $tealers.

The clutch kit has a pressure plate with LUK on it and the clutch plate has SACHS on it.

Feels fine so far, but I'm only a week in. Fingers crossed it'll be fine.. :wink:

Hi there, I've just joined this forum last week. I have a 1989 Corrado only had it several months. Been reading about the forum. Just a quick question....the last couple of days my clutch has been feeling a bit lose, a friend i work with had a look at it last night and it was decied that the clutch slave cylinder is gone. My brake fluid has been leaking and making it way in to the clutch area internally. I have been told the clutch slave cylinder should be bone dry.....? mine was the total opposite...! I have bought a new one for my mechanic to fit this saturday.

Would there be any other reason why my clutch had gone all lose.....? Do i need anything else to solve problem.....? Hope you can help...!! :?